Epson Launches its First WiFi-Connected Portable Document Scanner, the WorkForce DS-40
Epson America today introduced the WorkForce DS-40 ($179.99 MSRP), its first wireless portable document scanner. Weighing just over a pound, the WorkForce DS-40 features Wi-Fi wireless connectivity for point-to-point scanning directly to a PC, Mac, or mobile devices, as well as one-touch scan-to-cloud, and is powered by battery or USB source.
Maximum scan size for Mac is 8.5″ x 14″; while maximum scan size for Windows is 8.5″ x 36″. Users can wirelessly scan to Android and iOS smartphones and tablets using the Epson DocumentScan app installed on the mobile device. They may also wirelessly scan to cloud-based document storage sites such as GoogleDrive, Evernote, OneNote, SugarSync, OneDrive, Dropbox, and more, with Epson Document Capture software installed on the connected Windows PC or Mac.
Users can scan a variety of originals, including business cards and rigid ID cards. There’s advanced correction tools, including auto-sizing and enhancing text quality, correcting image-skew, and removing document punch holes. A TWAIN scan driver is provided.
Features of note include:
- Create editable text files, and searchable PDFs at 600 dpi resolution.
- Supports Epson Document Capture Pro, and includes ABBYY FineReader OCR software, and NewSoft BizCard software.
- Incorporates Variable Color Enhance, and Color Dropout, and other innovative features.
The WorkForce DS-40 will be available this summer through major resellers, office retailers, and directly at Epson.com.
- Type: Sheet Fed, Simplex, A4, color scanner
- Scan Method: Fixed carriage and moving document
- Paper Supply: Manual feed (face down)
- Optical Sensor: 1,200 dpi color CIS with 10,368 pixels (output up to 600 dpi)
- Light Source: RGB 3 color LED
- Interface: USB 2.0; Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Security: WEP (64/128 bit), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)
- Reliability: 30,000 scans of A4 paper
- Daily Duty Cycle: 25 scans per day
- Setup: WPS, Epson Easy Setup
- Included Software: Epson Scan, Epson Document Capture Pro, Epson Net Config, Epson Net Setup, ABBYY FineReader Sprint OCR, NewSoft Presto! BizCard OCR (Windows on CD, Mac via Web download)
Maximum Effective Picture Element:
- 300 dpi: 2577 pixels
- 600 dpi: 5154 pixels
Maximum Scan Output Pixels:
- Up to 300 dpi: 2,550 x 10,800 pixels (300 dpi, 8.5″ x 36″)
- Over 300 dpi: 5100 x 8400 pixels (600 dpi, 8.5″ x 14″)
- 600 dpi, 300 dpi
- Output Resolution: 50 – 1,200 dpi
- Maximum Scan Area: 8.5″ x 14″, 8.5″ x 36″/Long Paper Mode
- Minimum Size: Portrait 2″ x 2.9″, Landscape: 3.4″ x 2.1″
- Document Size: Plastic/embossed card, A4, A5, A6, B5, A8, letter, legal, and custom sizes
- Paper Set Position: Right side of document table (at main scan direction)
- Edge Guide: 2″ – 8.6″
- Color Bit Depth: 48-bit internal/24-bit external
- Grayscale Bit Depth: 16-bit internal/8-bit external
- Output Image Data: 1, 8, 24 bit (selectable)
- 200 dpi (B/W/Color): Letter – 8.0 seconds/8.0 seconds A4 – 10 seconds/10 seconds
- 300 dpi (B/W/Color): Letter – 8.0 seconds/29 seconds A4 – 10 seconds/ 10 seconds
- 600 dpi (B/W / Color): Letter – 29 seconds/ 29 seconds, A4 – 30 seconds / 30 seconds