Report: Project CISS with Photo Gallery and Videos! Continuous Ink-Supply System Inkjet Printers – How do They Stack Up?
Wirth Consulting is pleased to announce a comprehensive new test report – likely the first of its kind – that summarizes the results of exhaustive testing of inkjet printers equipped with CISS (Continuous Ink Supply System). CISS is an inking system that consists of a large external refillable ink supply that may or may not be attached to the printer, and which is advertised as saving users up to 95 percent in ink costs when compared to OEM ink cartridges. But do the claims live up to the hype?
This 64-page test report – which can be downloaded below – summarizes several months of testing of:
- Nine printers/All-in-Ones (AiOs) from Epson, Canon, and Hewlett-Packard.
- Two-types of add-on (non-OEM) CISS kits installed on four printers/AiOs.
- Two OEM-equipped CISS inkjet printers, the Epson L101 CISS Ink System and Epson L210 CISS Ink System All-in-One.
- A detailed comparison of the overall performance of CISS-equipped printers and AiOs versus that of standard cartridge-based printers and AiOs.
In the report, you’ll find:
- How easy – or difficult – it is to install CISS kits, as well as how easy it is to refill CISS ink tanks.
- Safety precautions and any mess associated with the maintenance of CISS kits and printers.
- Ink and time wastage involved with CISS printers.
- Affects on image quality.
- Affects on printer reliability – do CISS kits cause damage to printers and/or printer failure?
- Cost per page and total cost of ownership – are you really saving money?
- Also tested is HP’s new Deskjet Ink Advantage 2520hc AiO, which features a high-yield black ink cartridge ($10.76 MSRP) that yields up 1,500 pages and high-yield color ink cartridge ($10.76 MSRP) that yields up to 750 pages. It has a very low cost per page and total cost of ownership for a non CISS-equipped AiO, but unfortunately it is only currently available in the SEA marketplace.
- Project CISS Hands-On Test Report (Standard Quality PDF, 10.2 Mb)
- Project CISS Hands-On Test Report (High-Quality Print PDF, 29.3 Mb)
- Project CISS Gallery of Photos
- Video – CISS Kit Overview
- Video – Epson L210 Setup (OEM CISS)
- Video – Refill a CISS Kit
- Video – Death of a PIXMA
- Stay tuned for availability of more Project CISS videos