New Professional OCR Tool for Mac Users from ABBYY
ABBYY is introducing FineReader Pro for Mac, a professional OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application for document scanning and conversion on the Apple Mac platform. The new application allows Mac users to edit, share, archive, and search through their documents by turning them into popular electronic file formats, as well as copy and quote text from scans, PDFs, and digital photos. The firm says that by providing highly accurate text recognition, intelligent reconstruction of layout and formatting, and a straightforward interface, FineReader Pro for Mac offers a reliable alternative to manual retyping.
“Professional grade OCR solutions have not previously been available for the Mac platform, leaving many users to have to deal with scaled down feature sets and miss out on much of the potential of having OCR technology as part of their workflow,” commented Ivan Bodyagin, director of the FineReader Products Department at ABBYY. “FineReader Pro for Mac is designed to provide the functionality and performance to support a wide spectrum of needs, from casual document conversion tasks to rather complex projects. With its availability, Mac users can finally realize the full benefits of OCR technology.”
The solution provides tools for scanning documents and converting images of documents such as scans, photographs and PDFs into popular formats including DOCX, ODT, RTF, XSLX, searchable and protected PDF and PDF/A, PPTX, HTML, EPUB, and FB2. In addition, it allows users to process and recognize only selected areas on a document to quickly copy and quote information they need without having to process the entire document. FineReader Pro for Mac can also be used to prepare documents for use by various text-to-speech utilities.
Key features include:
- Unmatched OCR Accuracy and Broadest Language Support on Mac — FineReader Pro for Mac is based on ABBYY’s award-winning OCR and document conversion technology that delivers up to 99.8 percent accuracy of character recognition. Moreover, it automatically detects and recognizes text in more than 180 languages including European languages, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Hebrew and Arabic — in any combination.
- Converting to Microsoft Word, PDF, and Apache OpenOffice Writer with Native Formatting — With ABBYY’s intelligent Adaptive Document Recognition Technology (ADRT), FineReader Pro for Mac precisely re-creates document structure and formatting across multiple pages, including text size and font styles, tables, diagrams, columns, headers, footers, footnotes, table of contents, page numbers and other attributes commonly found in multi-page documents. When saving to PDF, the application identifies and reproduces the document’s content outline bookmarks with live links for better navigating and reading.
- Intuitive, Task-Oriented User Interface — FineReader Pro for Mac offers an easy-to-navigate user interface designed to reduce the amount of steps typically required to process documents to a single click of a button.
- Digital Camera OCR and Image Pre-processing — Users can photograph documents for OCR and conversion by using their cameras and mobile devices as alternatives to common scanners. Depending on the image, FineReader Pro for Mac applies various image pre-processing options to correct possible distortions before recognition. With Image Editor, users can also correct brightness and contrast, straighten curved text lines, correct trapezium distortions, reduce ISO noise, remove motion blur, split dual pages, crop images, and more.
- Reliable Archiving and Sharing of PDFs — FineReader Pro for Mac allows users to truly leverage the PDF format in their daily work by turning documents into searchable, compressed and protected PDF files. It can also create PDF outlines for fast navigation across a document, support tagged PDFs that are optimized for portable and screen reader devices, and export to the PDF/A format for long-term archiving.
- Quick E-book[Creation — The application can be easily used to convert paper documents and images to formats supported by e-book readers, tablet PCs and smartphones, including the popular Electronic Publication (.ePub) and FictionBook (.fb2) formats.
FineReader Pro for Mac is now available for purchase via the Mac App Store and the ABBYY Online store. Users of ABBYY FineReader Express Edition for Mac can upgrade their copy to the full professional version of FineReader at a special price. For more information about the product and pricing, please visithttp://finereader.abbyy.com/pro_for_mac/ .