New Brother MFC-J870dw is First Inkjet to Feature NFC Mobile Print and Scan
Brother International is rolling out the MFC-J870dw ($$149.99 estimated street price), the flagship model of its new Work Smart series of color inkjet All-in-Ones for small office/home office (SOHO) users. The MFC-J870dw features wireless connectivity and “tap-and-print” NFC print and scan, Wi-Fi Direct printing, Web connectivity, and a suite of Brother Cloud Apps. Brother will also be introducing other new WorkCentre inkjet All-in-Ones for SOHO users in August (see below).
NFC (Near Field Communication) is a short-distance wireless protocol that allows the user to “touch to connect” for direct printing or scanning from NFC-capable mobile devices, without the need for a wireless network, (the MFC-J870dw must be connected via its WiFi connectivity to the Internet).
With Wi-Fi Direct printing, users can wirelessly print from a compatible mobile device without a router or wireless network.
The MFC-J870dw, as with all models in Brother’s Work Smart series, also feature a Wireless Assistant, a new wireless network tool that requires no USB cable or password, for easier wireless setup. All models in the WorkSmart series feature front-loading ink cartridges, and free phone support for the life of the product.
Specifications for the MFC-J870dw include:
- Print speed rated at 33 (black)/27 (color) ppm in Fast Mode.
- Print speed rated at up to 12 (black)/10 (color) ppm using the ISO/IEC 24734 test method.
- 2.7” touch screen plus touch panel that only shows the keys needed for the function being used.
- 20-page automatic document feeder for fax, copy, and scan.
- Automatic (2-sided) duplex printing.
- Wireless 802.11b/g/n and wired Ethernet network connectivity.
- Wireless printing from mobile devices via Google Cloud Print, Brother iPrint&Scan, Wi-Fi Direct, and Cortado Workplace
- Web connectivity from the touch screen with Facebook, Picasa Web Albums, Flickr, Google Drive, Evernote, and Skydrive, so that, from the touch screen, users can print documents and photos stored at these Web sites, as well scan documents and photos to these Web sites.
- Software for scanning.
- Ink Save Mode that helps reduce ink consumption per page by outlining images for draft printing.
- Four separate ink cartridges so that users only replace the ink that’s empty.
- Uses standard or high-yield ink cartridges.
- Print from and scan to media cards; print from PictBridge-enabled cameras and USB memory drives.
- 20-sheet photo bypass tray for printing on photo-size media.
- Print directly on CD/DVD/Blu-Ray discs.
- 2-year limited warranty and toll-free technical support for the life of the machine
Brother will also be introducing a full line of Work Smart Series inkjet all-in-ones to replace its current SOHO inkjet series. The MFC-J650dw ($129.99), MFC-J470dw ($99.99), and MFC-J285dw ($99.99) will all be available in August 2013.
For more information and complete specifications on the MFC-J870dw, visit Brother here.