OKI Launches 42-PPM A4 MFPs, A3 Copier-Based Color MFPs with OKI Open Platform
OKI Data Americas invited us to its U.S. headquarters in Mount Laurel, NJ, for a preview of several new office MFPs that it’s introducing today, including a $499 42-ppm black-and-white MFP, the MB491, and two A3 copier-based office color MFPs, the CX4545 and CX3535, which incorporate OKI’s Open Platform for integrating workflow solutions.
The 42-ppm MB491 is the flagship of the new MB401 series, which includes the MB461, MB471 and MB471w, all for small and mid-size workgroups. These monochrome MFPs use OKI’s toner-based LED imaging technology, and build on its MB460 and MB470 A4 MFPs, but with these upgrades:
- Faster print speeds – 35 ppm for the MB461 ($349 MSRP), MB471 ($399 MSRP) and MB471w ($475 MSRP), and 42 ppm for the flagship MB491 ($499 MSRP).
- Higher-yield toner cartridges – 4,000-page and 10,000-page black toner cartridges for the MB461, MB471 and MB471w, while the flagship MB491 uses a black toner cartridge that yields 12,000 pages. (An imaging drum is also required.)
- Upgraded control panel with 3.5″ LCD (see below).
- Upgraded scanning – full-color scan to e-mail (with LDAP support for scanning to e-mail addresses in the network address book), and to FTP, HTTP, and USB memory drives, as well as to applications with optional Actkey software. There’s also TWAIN and WIA scan drivers, as well as Nuance PaperPort SE v 11 software and Nuance OmniPage SE v165 software for OCR.
- WiFi wireless network connectivity for the MB471w.
The MB471/MB471/MB491’s control panel. The entry-level MB461’s keyboard is the same except that it lacks the Job Macro keys on the right, as well as fax keys and QWERTY-style keypad shown below.
The tiltable control panel incorporates a 3.5″ LCD display. The MB471/MB471w and MB491 add a QWERTY-style keypad for entering text, as well as Job Macros keys for recording and then recalling frequently used settings. The flagship 42-ppm MB491 also comes standard with a 4 GB SD memory card for Secure Print (enter a PIN or password in the print driver, then enter it at the control panel to release the job for printing).
Other specifications for all models includes:
- USB local port and wired 10/100 Base-TX Ethernet network interface.
- 330 MHz CPU; standard and maximum memory is 256 MB; the MB491 adds a 4 GB SD memory card.
- PCL 6/PCL 5e print driver; the MB471/MB741w and MB491 add a PostScript 3 emulation print driver and PDF v1.7 direct printing. All support IBM PPR and Epson FX printing.
- Support for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac; the MB471/MB741w add support for Linux.
- Security includes IP and MAC filtering, SSL/TLS, EAP and IPSec. The MB471w supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup. Administrators can restrict print, copy, fax, scan to e-mail and network folders by requiring users to enter PINs.
- Supports OKI’s PrintSuperVision network-management solution, and Job Accounting software.
- Maximum monthly volume of up to 60,000 pages for the MB461, MB471/MB471w, and up to 80,000 pages for the MB491.
- 1,200 x 1,200 dpi print resolution (2,400 x 600 dpi for the MB461).
- 50-sheet reversing automatic document feeder for two-sided scanning of originals, and automatic duplex printing.
- Super G3 walkup fax, PC fax, and fax to e-mail, fax server and Internet Fax for the MB471/MB471w and MB491.
- The MB461 has a 250-sheet paper drawer plus 1-sheet manual feed slot, while the MB471/MB471w and MB491 add a 100-sheet paper drawer. A 530-sheet paper drawer is optional. Of note is user-assisted banner printing on up to 8.5″ x 52″ banner sheets, and printing on up to 90 lb. index stock.
- With a new Deep Sleep, the systems consume less than 3 watts of energy; they also automatically shut off after four hours of non-use, and are Energy Star certified.
OKI also spoke to us about its Motion Print, which refers to a suite of third-party mobile-printing apps that it currently recommends – Cortado Workplace, PrintJinni, ePrint by MicoTech, Print Central Pro, and Google Cloud Print; AirPrint mobile-printing will be available in the next six to eight months. It demonstrated a print server, xPrintServer ($149.95) from Lantronix, that provides wireless printing from Apple iOS iPads and iPhones to the MB401 series MFPs on a network (as well as to other OKI printers and MFPs shown here). OKI says they’ve seen increased demand for mobile printing from iPads from the corporate sector and the education sector, the latter of which is a vertical market OKI has been particularly strong in.
The MB401 series is also compatible with OKI’s Desktop Capture Solution for distribution of scanned documents to Microsoft SharePoint. They support Web Services for TWAIN, and are compatible with WSD (Web Services on Devices) for scan workflows.
OKI Open Platform
- Scan documents to a Microsoft Exchange server and access the Outlook e-mail address book.
- Scan documents to Microsoft SharePoint, and enter meta data in SharePoint lists and fields
- Scan documents to Google Docs accounts.
The CX3535/CX4545’s new control panel with color touch screen and QWERTY-style keypad for entering text and optional Web browser for accessing Web applications.
- Supports Microsoft Windows 7, Vista, XP, Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2; Netware 6.x; Citrix MetaFrame; Apple Mac OS X 10.2.8+; Linux; UNIX.
- 1 GHz Power PC CPU; 1 GB of memory; 80-GB hard drive for file storage (includes AES encryption for stored files; optional DataOverwrite Enabler for overwriting files stored in the hard drive). Administrators can create public and private folders for document storage in the hard drive.
- PCL 5e, PCL 5c, PCL 6 and PostScript 3 print drivers, as well as XPD and PDF printing.
- 1000 Base-TX Ethernet network interface and USB 2.0 port; optional Wireless LAN and Bluetooth.
- Maximum monthly volume of up to 70,000 pages.
- Cyan, yellow and toner cartridges are each rated to yield up to 26,800 pages; black toner cartridge is rated to yield 34,200 pages.
- Full-color scan to PC (folders/network), hard drive, USB memory drives, e-mail (supports LDAP/SMPT) and server (FTP/HTTP). TWAIN and WIA scan drivers are included, and scanning is rated at up 45 (black/color) originals per minute.
- 100-sheet RADF (scans up to 11″x17″ originals), duplex printing, two 500-sheet drawers; optional 550-sheet drawer and optional 2,500-sheet LCT. Maximum paper capacity is 3,700 sheets.
- Print on up to 140 lb. index stock and on banners sheets up to 12″ x 47″.
- Energy Star certified.
- Optional multi-position document finisher and 2-/3- hole document hole puncher.
- Optional External Interface Enabler, MetaScan Enabler, Microsoft SharePoint Connector, Microsoft Exchange Connector and Google Docs Connector.
- Optional Super G3 fax with T.37 Internet Fax.
OKI dealers should be pleased with the new A3 copier-based products, as they are sourced from a top-tier manufacturer, double its A3 offerings for dealers, and with Open Platform, add the ability to integrate advanced scanning workflows that are increasingly in demand. The new A4 units add key upgrades that’ll also help strengthen OKI’s A4 lineup in an increasingly key market and more, we’re told are on the way.