Samsung Printing Solutions to Spend $100 Million on New Printer/Copier Factory in China to Meet Increased Demand
Plastics News reports that Chinese plastics and metals processor Eva Precision Holdings is spending some $100 million on a new factory in the Weihai, Shandong province in China, to build office equipment for Samsung Printing Solutions – now known as S-Printing Solution Company. In July, Eva Precision Holdings signed a memorandum of understanding with the local government in Weihai to purchase a 94-acre parcel in the Weihai Torch High Technology Industrial Development Zone to build the factory.
Eva anticipates investing about $100 million to build a 753,000-square-foot factory and research and development center for Samsung printers and copier/MFPs.
Eva said that its longtime customer Samsung Printing Solutions “has seen a leap in demand for its own products after rival HP Inc. bought Samsung’s printer business for $55 billion in September 2016.”
The former Samsung Printing Solutions unit is “significantly” enlarging its production facilities in Weihai and has retained the Samsung brand name for those products, Eva spokeswoman Cindy Lung wrote in an email.
The new factory to open in late 2019. In the meantime, Eva will increase production for Samsung-branded office equipment later this year at rented space in Weihai.
“As office-automation equipment products consist of many plastic components (e.g. cartridges, plastic gears and casings of the copiers), a substantial portion of the new Weihai industrial park will be dedicated to plastic manufacturing,” Lung wrote.
Eva told the Hong Kong stock market that after HP acquired that unit, the former Samsung unit decided to consolidate its manufacturing in Weihai and move it away from existing manufacturing in Suzhou, China.
An Eva plant in Suzhou had been doing that work for Samsung, but Eva said it believes the potential sales for Weihai would be “significantly higher” than Suzhou over the long-term.
- July 2017: Samsung to Withdraw from Printer Manufacturing Once Printer Business Acquired by HP
- April 2017: European Regulators Give Green Light to HP’s Acquisition of Samsung Printing Business
- April 2017: HP Shipping A3 LaserJets, PageWides, as it Begins Bold Venture into A3 Copier Market
- December 2016: Samsung Provides More Key Info on HP’s Acquisition of its Printing Solutions Group
- November 2016: Samsung Lays Out Road Map for Merging Printing Solutions Group with HP Inc.
- November 2016: New Samsung Smart MultiXpress M5360RX A4 MFP with Faster Touch Screen, Smart UX Apps
- November 2016: New Samsung Update Enables Samsung Galaxy Users to Print to Millions of Printers
- November 2016: HP Inc. Marks 1st Anniversary: Looks Back on its 3D Printers, Samsung Acquisition, Copier-Market Disruption
- November 2016: Samsung Forms ‘S-Printing Solution’ Company Prior to Sale to HP; Compensates Samsung Employees for ‘Job Security’ Issues
- October 2016: Canon Discusses Implications of HP’s Acquisition of Samsung Printer Business
- September 2016: IDC: HP’s Acquisition of Samsung’s Printing Group Will Break Hold of Fuji Xerox, Canon, and Ricoh in China
- September 2016: Samsung Board Approves Sale of Printer Business to HP; Will Continue to Source Printers from HP
- September 2016: HP Set to Purchase Samsung’s Printer Group for $1.05 Billion As it Prepares for Assault on Copier Market