European Regulators Give Green Light to HP’s Acquisition of Samsung Printing Business
Under the European Union Merger Regulation, the European Commission has approved HP Inc.’s acquisition of Samsung Electronics’s Printing Solutions Group. HP Inc. expects to complete its acquisition of Samsung’s printing business for $1.05 billion later this year.
The commission stated that it assessed the overlap of the companies’ activities in the printer and MFP markets in the worldwide, European Economic Area, and national-level. It concluded that “the transaction would not have a significant impact on effective competition in the Single Market as there will be a number of companies that will continue to compete strongly with the merged entity, irrespective of the potential segmentation or geographic scope of the market.”
The commission also investigated the relationship between the downstream market for the supply of branded regular-format printers and the upstream market for the supply of unbranded regular=format printers, and concluded that the merged companies wouldn’t have the ability, or incentive, “to shut out competing suppliers of these products as there are many alternative players at both levels.”
- April 2017: HP Shipping A3 LaserJets, PageWides, as it Begins Bold Venture into A3 Copier Market
- December 2016: Samsung Provides More Key Info on HP’s Acquisition of its Printing Solutions Group
- November 2016: Samsung Lays Out Road Map for Merging Printing Solutions Group with HP Inc.
- November 2016: New Samsung Smart MultiXpress M5360RX A4 MFP with Faster Touch Screen, Smart UX Apps
- November 2016: New Samsung Update Enables Samsung Galaxy Users to Print to Millions of Printers
- November 2016: HP Inc. Marks 1st Anniversary: Looks Back on its 3D Printers, Samsung Acquisition, Copier-Market Disruption
- November 2016: Samsung Forms ‘S-Printing Solution’ Company Prior to Sale to HP; Compensates Samsung Employees for ‘Job Security’ Issues
- October 2016: Canon Discusses Implications of HP’s Acquisition of Samsung Printer Business
- September 2016: IDC: HP’s Acquisition of Samsung’s Printing Group Will Break Hold of Fuji Xerox, Canon, and Ricoh in China
- September 2016: Samsung Board Approves Sale of Printer Business to HP; Will Continue to Source Printers from HP
- September 2016: HP Set to Purchase Samsung’s Printer Group for $1.05 Billion As it Prepares for Assault on Copier Market