The big news this week comes from Xerox, which announced its largest product launch in its history, consisting of a total of 29 new A3 and A4 AltaLink and VersaLink printers and MFPs that consist of both black-and-white and monochrome models.
The new ConnectKey-enabled hardware will be available in the second quarter, and features Xerox’s Extensible Interface Platform (EIP), as Xerox executives continued to stress the focus on app development – both by Xerox and its partners. These apps essentially make life easier for workers. They range from a Translator app (scan a document and have it translated a different language), to emailing print jobs to the device, and more. And, indeed, while just last week, we noted that Samsung Printing Solutions may be exploring development of a voice-driven MFP, it appears that one of Xerox’s partners, Vison-e, using the Alexa voice-recognition system, appears to have beat them to it with a voice-recognition app for Xerox MFPs – so, we’re finally approaching the day when we can just tell our MFP to make copies, call service, or order toner cartridges.
The big picture, though, appears to be continuing to position the MFP as a document-workflow center, where “speeds and feeds” are less important. Instead, both the processing of documents and getting them where they need to be, and second, eliminating as many steps in that process, becomes key. This reflects the fact that in many enterprises, we’re no longer necessarily occupied with making sets of stapled paper copies, but instead, with accessing and sending documents from and to various locations – the cloud, email, network folders, document-management systems, and ultimately, routing and processing them quickly through various document-processing workflows, such as processing invoices.
As former Xerox CEO Ursula Burns remarked once, Xerox isn’t a copier company, it’s a document company, and it will go where the document is, whether paper or digital. Ultimately, the new hardware reflects the company’s continuing evolution in making the document and data, easier and faster to process, secure, access, and share.
- Xerox Reveals its Largest Product Blitz in History with New VersaLink, AltaLink ‘Workplace Assistants’ – Read more here.
- Canon’s New ‘Different Class’ of SMB Printers with Bigger Toner Yields, 3-Year Warranty, Faster Print Speed Read more here.
- HP Labs Develops Nifty New Non-Contact, Ink-Less Display Technology – Read more here.
- Blackboard Learning System Now Integrated with Sharp MFPs – Read more here.
- U.S. Supreme Court Hears Arguments in Lexmark vs. Impression Products Case – Read more here.
- Canon Europe Acquires Kite.ly to Expand Mobile-Printing Development – Read more here.
- Toshiba Approves Sale of Chip Business; Foxconn May be Bidder – Read more here.
Become a Sponsor and Get the Word Out
Want to get the word out about your product or solution? This Web site receives over 15,000 hits per day from readers throughout the world – with nearly 4.0 million hits in the last year. Contact Kathy Wirth to learn about our affordable advertising rates and how you can reach our readers through either this newsletter or at our Web site, wirthconsulting.org.
Visit alexa.com for verification.
The Third Dimension