Epson announced that Epson America, Epson Portland, and Seiko Epson have filed three patent-infringement complaints on March 3, 2016 in the U.S. District Court in Portland, Oregon, against Gaea Supplies; OW Supplies and Smart and Eazy; and Ta Trix, alleging that the companies infringed on Epson’s U.S. Patent 6,502,917 and U.S. Patent 8,794,749.
Epson states that these patent claims were already judged as valid and enforceable in two well previous lawsuits Epson filed with the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC), resulting in general exclusion orders that bar importation of all newly built and remanufactured ink cartridges that infringe on the claims.
The lawsuits filed today against merchants selling on the Amazon Marketplace supplement four lawsuits that Epson filed in late 2016, which similarly allege extensive sales of patent-infringing cartridges and seek permanent injunctions against further infringements and monetary damages.
“As part of a comprehensive enforcement program, Epson continues to file lawsuits against Internet resellers who persist in selling infringing cartridges despite widespread publicity of the General Exclusion Orders and Epson’s enforcement activities,” said Jilana Miller, Epson’s associate general counsel. “We are seeing considerable voluntary compliance and strongly suggest that resellers who continue to sell compatible and remanufactured cartridges on Internet marketplaces seek patent counsel to ensure they are not infringing Epson’s patents and violating the general exclusion orders.”
- December 2016: Epson Files Ink-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Lawsuits Against Amazon Sellers, as it Seeks to Deter Internet Resellers
- November 2016: Epson Files Breach-of-Agreement Complaint Against Nano Over Ink-Cartridge Patent Infringement
- October 2016: Epson Seizes Counterfeit Ink Cartridges in Nevada
- October 2015: Print-Rite Sues Epson China for Alleged Ink-Cartridge Patent Infringement
- January 2015: Epson Files Complaint with U.S. ITC for Alleged Ink-Cartridge Patent Infringement by 19 Companies