Xerox Sells FreeFlow Print Server Business to EFI
Xerox and Electronics For Imaging (EFI) report that they’ve formed a partnership to bring to market a next-generation digital front end (DFE) to drive Xerox digital production presses. The agreement includes the sale of Xerox’s FreeFlow Print Server (FFPS) DFE business to EFI for an undisclosed sum. Under the deal, EFI will continue to produce and support FFPS so that current customers do not experience interruptions in sales or service.
Xerox’s expertise and functionality from FFPS will be integrated with EFI’s Fiery controllers, which the firms say will give customers a market-leading offering. Customers will also benefit from EFI sales and technical field resources working with their Xerox sales representatives.
“This next step in our strategic alliance will give customers the industry’s highest performing DFE with unparalleled imaging and color management,” said EFI CEO Guy Gecht. “EFI integration among the DFE, workflow software, and management information systems products deliver the higher levels of automation and productivity that are key to print businesses taking full advantage of the opportunities with digital printing.”
Xerox and EFI have a long-standing partnership. Most recently, Xerox collaborated with EFI to develop a new print server, the Xerox IJ Print Server powered by Fiery, to drive the Xerox Trivor 2400 Inkjet Press. The DFE handles a range of data streams, while enabling integration, color management, and integration with customer workflows.
The next-generation DFE coming from this partnership will be integrated with EFI’s Productivity Suites, which include management-information systems such as PACE, PrintSmith Vision, Monarch, and Radius ERP. The DFE will also be integrated with Xerox FreeFlow Core and XMPie workflows, as well as with third-party pre-press solutions such as Agfa Apogee, Heidelberg Prinect, and Kodak Prinergy. The Fiery DFE, which is the industry’s only JDF-certified DFE, will also offer a “modern” API to allow customers to develop integration with any customized applications.
The agreement is for FFPS only and doesn’t affect the Xerox workflow solutions that carry a FreeFlow sub-brand name (FreeFlow Core, FreeFlow VI Suite, FreeFlow Makeready, and FreeFlow Digital Publisher). The workflow solutions will remain independent “key planks” for Xerox customers’ workflow strategy.
- January 2017: Xaar Teaming up with Xerox to Develop Inkjet Print Heads for Industrial Printing
- December 2016: Xerox Rolls Out Self-Serve Copier/MFPs at Staples
- November 2016: New Fiery Digital Front Ends for Xerox Color C60/70 Light-Production Printers
- October 2016: Fuji Xerox Adds Next-Generation Versant 1300, Versant 180 Color Production Printers for Light-Volume Production-Printing
- October 2016: Xerox Enhances C60/C70 Light-Production Systems with Broader Paper-Handling, Improved Image Quality, Enhanced Workflow
- May 2016: New EFI Fiery Network Server for Xerox ConnectKey-Enabled i-Series MFPs
- August 2016: Xerox Direct to Object Inkjet Printer for Printing on 3D Objects Now Available
- June 2016: Xerox Reports Strong Production-Inkjet Printer Sales at drupa Tradeshow
- March 2015: New EFI Fiery Digital Front Ends for Xerox’s Latest Digital Presses