Epson America today rolled out it latest wide-format color printer for commercial printing, the new 17-Inch Epson SureColor P5000, which it says incorporates the latest imaging technologies, and is for photo printing, fine-art printing, graphic design, and proofing.
Leveraging the Epson PrecisionCore TFP color-inkjet print head and an Epson UltraChome HDX 10-color pigment ink set, Epson says the SureColor P5000 “delivers outstanding output with an increased color gamut, higher-density blacks and twice the print permanence than the previous generation.” A refined printer design includes improved dust and static control for reduced maintenance and increased durability and reliability.
The SureColor P5000 replaces the Epson Stylus Pro 4900. “The Epson Stylus Pro brand was iconic, and it helped Epson build a pronounced reputation within the photography industry. We have since announced the SureColor product line, which is bringing Epson’s photographic technology to the next level,” said Larry Kaufman, product manager of Epson America’s Professional Imaging group. “The SureColor P5000 brings all of the SureColor printing technology into a 17-inch desktop model, providing photographers and graphic designers with the best imaging technology has to offer.”
The SureColor P5000 leverages 200 mL UltraChrome HDX 10-color ink cartridges utilizing newly developed core pigments, including new orange and green inks, as well as black inks that are 1.5-times denser than the previous generation, delivering a wider contrast ratio and improved resin encapsulation technology for superior gloss uniformity and optically clearer, sharper images. The SureColor P5000 supports a 10-channel PrecisionCore TFP print head that includes a new ink-repellant surface coating, along with improved dust and static control for reduced nozzle clogging and maintenance, and supports print-less nozzle checks for time, production and resource efficiency.
The SureColor P5000 can support two different ink configurations. The SureColor P5000 Standard and Designer editions leverage Light Light Black ink for twice the overall print permanence, smooth and neutral tonal transitions and support of the Epson Advanced Black and White print mode, ideal for photography, fine art and graphic design applications. The Commercial Edition includes Violet ink, in place of Light Light Black, for an expanded color gamut, to deliver an industry-best 99 percent PANTONE PLUS FORMULA GUIDE solid-coated color-matching, ideal for commercial and flexographic proofing applications.
Epson says the SureColor P5000 features versatile media handling capabilities with auto-switching between the high-capacity front paper cassette and roll media feeder. It includes a power-driven roll media spindle, ideal for producing panoramas and roll printing up to 100-feet, and an internal high-speed single pass rotary cutter. The high-capacity cassette can hold up to 100 sheets of premium paper for high productivity printing on sheets from 8”x10” up to 17”x22”. In addition, the SureColor P5000 features a front feed straight path for delicate fine art sheet media, including poster board, up to 1.5mm thick. Auto-switching between roll and cassette sheet feeding allow both sources to be loaded at the same time.
Other Epson SureColor P5000 features include:
- Next-generation pigment-ink technology for up to twice the overall print permanence than previous generation.
- Epson PrecisionCore TFP print head delivers said to provide fast print speeds with 360 nozzles per color channel, with variable-size ink droplets as small as 3.5 picoliters.
- Epson Precision Dot-Screening Algorithm said to ensure “incredibly accurate control of the sizing and mixing of ink droplets for beautiful prints.”
- Borderless Printing – Four-sided BorderFree printing is available at common widths, including 8”, 10”, 11”, 13”, 14”, 16”, 16.5”, and 17”.
- Optional SpectroProofer UVS – Developed jointly with X-Rite, the in-line spectrophotometer provides automated color management and verification-related tasks for a range of proofing applications. It supports all current illumination standards for UV and UV-Cut measurement and is UV selectable between M0, M1 and M2.
- Full-color 2.7-inch LCD panel allows for easy setup, control and maintenance of the printer
- July 2016: Epson Expands SureColor Large-Format Color Inkjet Printer Family with Three New Models
- June 2016: Epson, 3M Roll Out New Co-Branded UltraChrome GS3 Inks for Epson SureColor S-Series Wide-Format Printers
- June 2016: Two New Epson Screen Printers, SureColor P800 and SureColor T3270
- March 2016: New Flagship Epson SC-S80600 Wide-Format Printer for Printing Vehicle Wraps, Signage, More
- March 2016: Epson Expands SureColor Wide-Format Printer Series with 44-Inch Graphics Printer
- January 2016: New Epson 64″ Fine-Art Photo Printer, the SureColor P20000 with 2.8-Times Faster Print Speed
- September 2015: Epson Expands SureColor Wide-Format Color Printer Family with P-Series, Starts at $2,995