Worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) shipments declined 3.0 percent to 25 million units in the third quarter of 2016 (3Q16), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker. IDC says that the modest improvement over the previous quarter was largely due to solid results in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), which grew 4.4 percent year-over-year.
Note that hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC). Note that in its research, IDC tracks A2-A4 devices in its Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker.
Notable highlights from the third quarter include:
- The contractual segment expanded 6.1 percent year-over-year in 3Q16, driven mainly by the managed print services (MPS) trend.
- Business-inkjet shipments saw a year-over-year decline of 7.1 percent to approximately 2.4 million units with inkjet MFPs accounting for 90 percent of these shipments.
- Epson was the only vendor among the top-five vendors with positive year-over-year unit growth, driven by strong performances in Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan), Western Europe, and the United States.
- Laser markets in Western Europe grew 1.9 percent year-over-year in 3Q16, “a sharp contrast” with the negative trend observed in the region for the past five quarters. Laser revenue increased more than volume, indicating that prices in many Western European markets are holding steady: average selling prices (ASPs) for the laser market increased by 1.2 percent in 3Q16.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals Shipments, Market Share, and Growth, Q3 2016|
|Vendors||3Q16 Units Shipment||3Q16 Market Share||3Q15 Units Shipment||3Q15 Market Share||3Q16/3Q15 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||9,472,015||37.9%||9,937,429||38.6%||-4.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, December 2, 2016|
IDC’s Worldwide Quarterl y Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker provides market data on the global hardcopy peripherals market. Historical data is provided by vendor, distribution channel, end-user segment, speed range, price band, configuration, model family, and format size. Forecast details include units, value, ASV, price band, and speed range by product, by country, and by region.
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- August 2016: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Improves in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
- June 2016: Report: Global Managed Print Services Market to Reach $98 Billion by 2024
- June 2016: IDC: Slump for Global Printer/MFP Market in 1st Quarter, but MPS Contracts Continue to Grow
- January 2016: Moderate Growth Forecast for Global Wireless-Printer Market
- January 2016: Global Copier/MFP Market to Grow at 2.15 Percent Annually, According to Sandler Research
- December 2015: IDC: Worldwide Printer/Copier/MFP Market Declines in Third Quarter, but Business-Inkjet Shipments up 16.3 Percent
- May 2015: IDC: Slight Decline in Worldwide Printer/MFP Market for First-Quarter 2015
- February 2015: IDC: Worldwide Printer, MFP Shipment Values Increase, Color Laser Makes Gains
- February 2015: Global Mobile-Printing Market to Grow 32.5 Percent between 2014-2019
- December 2014: IDC: Worldwide Printer,MFP Shipment Values Increase in Third Quarter, Slight Decline in Shipments
- August 2014: IDC: Worldwide Printer/MFP Market Declines for First Time in Three Quarters; Samsung Makes Gains