HP Releases Firmware Update that Un-Blocks Use of Third-Party Ink Cartridges
As promised HP Inc. has released a firmware update that unblocks use of non-HP, third-party ink cartridges. In September, thousands of users reported that they could no longer use non-HP ink cartridges with various HP Officejet printers and All-in-Ones, after a routine HP security upgrade over the Internet to their printers. HP subsequently apologized for the update, and said a firmware update that unblocks the use of non-HP ink cartridges would shortly be available. The firmware update is available here.
The update is available for select HP Officejet, Officejet Pro, and Officejet ProX models.
Note that you can also check for firmware updates from the control panel of your Officejet printer by tapping Setup/Web Services/Printer Update.
- October 2016: European Ink/Toner Remanufacturers Association May File ‘Anti-Competitive’ Complaints Against HP, Canon
- October 2016: Electronic Frontier Foundation Demands HP Promise Not to Issue Firmware Upgrades that Block Third-Party Cartridges
- September 2016: HP Firmware Update Will Un-Block Use of Third-Party Ink Cartridges
- September 2016: Law Firm Files Lawsuit Against HP, Alleges Blocking of Third-Party Ink Cartridges Violates U.S. Laws
- September 2016: HP: Some Officejet Inkjet Printers May No Longer Work with Third-Party Ink Cartridges