On September 26th, Epson America reported that it had filed a complaint for trademark infringement and a request for a temporary restraining order and seizure against InkSystem LLC and related companies, including AF LLC, ART LLC, Lucky Print LLC, Inkredible LLC, and three people. The lawsuit was filed by Epson America, Inc. and Seiko Epson Corporation, with the complaint alleging that the companies were manufacturing, distributing, and selling counterfeit Epson-branded ink cartridges.
On September 13th, U.S. District Court Judge Robert C. Jones ordered a temporary restraining order and seizure of unauthorized products, labels, and equipment, as well as business records from the defendants’ business premises in and around Reno, Nevada. Epson, along with U.S. Marshals, conducted a search-and-seizure of three locations in the Reno area on September 17th. Epson then filed a report with the court that described the defendants’ counterfeiting operations and the seizure of more than 14,000 counterfeit ink cartridges and components sufficient, says Epson, to make many thousands of more counterfeits. On September 21st, Judge Jones granted Epson’s request for a preliminary injunction against trademark infringement and lifted the seal on the court documents.
“Epson has a long history of vigorous legal action to protect the company, consumers and legitimate resellers from unfair competition,” Jilana Miller, Epson’s associate general counsel, commented. “We are pleased that the court recognized the need for quick and decisive action to stop these defendants from defrauding customers by converting third-party remanufactured and grey market cartridges into counterfeit Epson cartridges. We will continue to take whatever action is necessary to protect Epson and the printer supply industry from this type of unfair competition.”
- December 2015: 2,000 Counterfeit HP-Brand Cartridges Seized in the U.K.
- August 2015: Dubai Police Seize Two Million Fake HP Ink Cartridges
- August 2014: Authorities Seize 35,000 Counterfeit Printer Ink Cartridges in Saudi Arabia
- July 2014: Xerox Supporting Raids Against Black-Market Printer and Copier Consumables’ Suppliers Around the World
- September 2013: Counterfeit Toner and Ink Cartridges Worth Millions of Dollars Seized in Italy and Russia
- May 2013: Xerox Raids Result in Seizure of 55,000 Boxes of Counterfeit Consumables