Canon U.S.A. says that its new UVgel-printing technology will “transform wide-format roll-to-roll printing,” and will shortly be featured in a new line of Canon roll-to-roll wide-format printers that will provide large-format print providers “an unprecedented combination of productivity, image quality, application range, automation, and low cost of operation.”
Key elements and benefits of the UVgel technology include:
- “A radically new” UV curable ink from Canon that instantly gels on contact with media, resulting in precise dot placement and area control for consistent high-quality images at fast print speeds.
- The large color gamut of solvent inks combined with the environmental benefits and safety profile of latex and UV inks.
- Ultra-thin ink dispersion with almost no discernible physical profile and the lowest ink-consumption rate that Canon says can provide up to a 40-percent reduction in printing costs compared to eco-solvent and latex.
Canon says these features all result in cost-effective, non-toxic, durable, color-fast, high-quality prints for almost any flexible media application.
This amazing new UVgel technology also incorporates several new hardware technology developments from Canon:
- Advanced, “next generation” piezo-electric print-head technology employing patented acoustic sampling technology that monitors inkjet print-head nozzle performance on-the-fly during printing.
- A unique LED UV curing sub-system that operates completely independently from the printing system, ensuring identical ink jetting to curing timing for every droplet for “unprecedented uniformity across the printed image.”
- An LED-based UV system that cures without adding any heat to the media whatsoever, making it easy to print on the thinnest, most heat-sensitive flexible media.
- Continuous, on-the-fly, nozzle performance compensation facilitates unattended printing and reduced print waste.
Canon’s new UVgel printing technology will be at the core of a family of new roll-to-roll printers, the first of which will be a 64″ roll-to-roll printer to be released in the spring of 2017.
The firm says its significant investment in this new technology demonstrates its continued commitment to be a leader in digital graphics-printing markets. Canon will be showcasing this new UVgel technology at the 2016 SGIA Expo being held September 14-16 in Las Vegas.
- March 2016: Canon Expands imagePROGRAF PRO Wide-Format Printer Family with Four New Models
- January 2016: New Fourth-Generation Océ Arizona 1200 Series UV Flatbed Printers from Canon
- November 2015: New imagePROGRAF iPF770 MFP L36/iPF670 MFP L24 Entry-Level MFPs from Canon
- November 2015: Canon Launches ‘Fastest’ 42″ Wide Wide-Format Color Printers Currently on the Market
- October 2015: New Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Professional Photo Printer with New Print Head, Inks, More
- July 2015: New Large-Format imagePROGRAF iPF850/840/830 Printers, New Media Portfolio, from Canon
- January 2015: New Large-Format Inkjet imagePROGRAF iPF670, imagePROGRAF iPF770 Printers from Canon