Lexmark Taking on A3 with Latest A4 MFPs, Including 60-PPM XC8160
Although not shipping yet, at a recent meeting for its dealers, Lexmark International previewed an interesting next-generation A4 color MFP series available through authorized Lexmark business-equipment dealers, including the new XC8160. Lexmark bills the XC8160 as providing the performance and feature set matching – if not better than – that of A3 copier/MFPs that print and scan on up to 11″x17″, noting, for instance that “The XC8160 has a faster scanner (120 ppm in duplex mode) than most light production A3/11×17 copiers.”
In its push to bring A4 (print and scan on up to 8.5″x14″) to the office, the firm notes that worldwide studies show that nearly 98 percent of all paper sales are for 8.5″ x 11″ letter/A4-size paper, stating that the XC8160 provides A3 performance and features but at much lower pricing, with a much smaller footprint, and with the lowest cost per page of any Lexmark A4 color device.
Features of Note
As a color MFP, the XC8160 features Lexmark Color Replacement software, which combines spot-color replacement and RGB (red, green, blue) replacement for precision color-matching, as well as Pantone color-matching, and embedded color sample pages. The firm also states that 4,800 dpi color quality remains consistent at even full print speed.
The XC8160 also features a 1.6 GHz quad-core print controller with up to 2 GB of memory; Lemark says this print controller provides all of the print-job processing power needed to handle even the “most complex designs without expensive third-party add-on print controllers.”
There’s also optional document-finishing, including an in-line stapler-finisher, or finisher with multi-position stapler and document hole-punch. The XC8160 supports media as thick as 300 gsm, one of the thickest medias available in cut-sheet format for signage or booklet covers — to tissue-thin paper such as 70 gsm, as well as vinyl, labels, cardstock, envelopes, and banner sheets.
For longer uninterrupted operation, toner cartridges yield up to 50,000 pages, and paper capacity may be expanded up to 4,500 sheets, while the photoconductor lasts up to 175,000 pages, and developer and fuser are good for 300,000 pages. Lexmark Unison toner cartridges also don’t require shaking before installation.
Lexmark also provides mobile printing for Apple iOS, Android, and Microsoft Windows Mobile devices, and optional wireless and Near Field Communication (NFC) direct mobile printing from compatible smartphones and tablets. The XC8160 is also Google Cloud Print, Apple Airprint 1.5, and Mopria ready.
Advanced Document Scanning Technology
As noted, the XC8160 features a 120-ppm (duplex) document feeder. It can accomodate up to 150 originals and features single-pass two-sided duplex scanning. Other features include:
- Automatic blank page detection and removal.
- Mixed-size original scanning.
- Small files sizes with color detection that scans in black-and-white if no color is detected.
- Reduction of file sizes and maintaining of information accuracy with Mixed Raster Content (MRC) file compression.
- Charged Coupled Device (CCD) sensors and five-piece optical glass lenses for high-resolution, accurate scans.
- Page-level jam recovery, which picks up where the job left off.
- Optional Lexmark Virtual ReScan (VRS) for improving scanning productivity and capture efficiency by reducing the time involved in manual document preparation, and automatically enhancing the quality of scanned images.
The XC8160 is also bundled with these apps for enhancing document scanning:
- AccuRead OCR (optical character recognition) for creating searchable files or editable content using the included AccuRead OCR. Lexmark notes that various other vendors charge extra for this capability.
- Scan Center: Send scanned documents to multiple destinations simultaneously with optional delivery confirmations.
- Forms and Favorites: Keep frequently used forms and documents easy to access, and save money by eliminating pre-printed forms.
- Card Copy: Capture both sides of ID and credit cards, print on one side of paper, and save to a network folder.
- Address Book: Manage the MFP’s internally stored user data, contacts, and scan destinations from the Lexmark e-Task touch screen or the embedded Web server.