IDC: Large-Format Printer Shipments Up Slightly in 1st-Quarter 2016; HP PageWide, KIP Printers Said to Drive Growth
Market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC) has released its Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, which indicates that global large-format printer (LFP) shipments grew 1.2 percent year-over-year in Q1 2016 (1Q16), while hardware revenue grew by almost 7 percent.
Note that in its research, IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market. The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as multifunctional systems (MFPs).
“We see large-format print service providers investing in new technologies that they can use to grow their businesses or drive efficiencies through their operation,” commented Tim Greene, research director for IDC’s U.S. Large Format Printer Tracker. “Growth of single-pass large-format printers in the CAD (computer assisted design)/technical segment and alternative ink technologies in the graphics business made up for declines in more mature market segments.”
Shipments in the large-format CAD/technical printer market segment grew 1.6 percent year-over-year in 1Q16, while hardware revenue grew by 13.2 percent. The HP PageWide and KIP 800-series color printers drove much of that revenue growth, according to IDC.
On the large-format graphics side, total shipments grew by just 0.6 percent year-over-year in 1Q16 while revenue grew 2.8 percent over the same period. The durable-graphics segment fueled that growth, as shipments of large-format printers that serve the durable-graphics business grew by over 9.5 percent worldwide in 1Q16 versus 1Q15, continuing a trend from 2014 and 2015, and led by UV-curable inkjet, Latex, eco-solvent, and dye-sublimation inkjet printers.
IDC says that the top five suppliers worldwide in 2015 all kept their place in Q1 2016. The top five suppliers, in order, were HP Inc., Canon (when combined with Oce), Seiko Epson, Roland DG, and Mimaki.
HP had nearly twice the total market share of any other vendor in the large-format printer business overall due to its dominance in the large-format CAD/technical and Latex segments.
Canon, when combined with Oce, grew its share of total large-format printer shipments from 18.8 percent in 1Q15 to over 20 percent in 1Q16 to maintain its number-two position worldwide.
Epson is said to be “transforming” its large-format printer product line, launching new eco-solvent-ink printers in 4Q15 that have helped the company grow its share of large-format printer revenue in 1Q16. However, the decline in the company’s low-end aqueous inkjet printers have reduced shipment market share in 2016.
Roland DG was the fourth-ranked supplier of large-format printers worldwide in terms of total shipments in Q1 2016, but remains the top supplier in the durable-graphics printer segment.
Mimaki was the number-five supplier of large format printers worldwide in 1Q16 and grew its shipments and share of the market with the launch of new printers in the UV, eco-solvent ink, and dye-sublimation printers in 4Q15 and 1Q16.
|Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q1 2016 (shipments in thousands)|
|Vendors||1Q16 Shipments (K)||1Q16 Market Share||1Q15 Shipments (K)||1Q15 Market Share||1Q16/1Q15 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||33.1||40.5%||33.7||41.7%||-1.7%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, June 1, 2016|
- North American shipments in the CAD/technical market large-format printer market were up almost 13 percent year-over-year in 1Q16, while shipments were soft in the large format graphics segment, down 11 percent from Q1 2015.
- Mutoh continued on its “hot streak,” finishing 1Q16 just outside of the top five vendors and growing both its shipments and revenue in the quarter.
For more information about this report, visit IDC here.
- December 2015: Global Large-Format Printer Market Hits Dip Again in Third Quarter, Reports IDC
- May 2015: IDC: Slight Decline in Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments in First-Quarter 2015; HP is Leader
- August 2015: IDC: Second-Quarter Large-Format Printer Market is Slow, but 2015 Still Ahead of 2014 Shipments
- August 2014: IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments Enjoy Fourth Consecutive Quarter of Growth; Epson Makes Gains
- December 2013: IDC: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Returned to Growth in Third Quarter
- August 2013: Contraction for Western Europe Large-Format Printer Market in Second Quarter, Reports IDC
- May 2013: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Sluggish in First Quarter, Reports IDC
- February 2013: Worldwide Large-Format Printer Shipments Show Uneven Signs of Growth and Decline 3% in the Fourth Quarter of 2012, According to IDC