According to market-research firm the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, the worldwide hardcopy peripherals (HCP) market declined 10.6 percent year-over-year on shipments of 23.11 million units in the first quarter of 2016 (1Q16). Inkjet printers experienced a year-over-year decline of 11.1 percent, while the laser market declined 10.5 percent year-over-year.
Note that in its research, IDC track A2-A4 devices hardcopy peripherals, and that hardcopy peripherals include single-function printers, multifunctional systems (MFPs), and single-function digital copiers (SF DC).
Within the overall market, the contractual trend continues to grow with more than 1.8 million units being shipped for managed print services in 1Q16. All four of the major geographic regions – Asia/Pacific, Japan, Western Europe, and the United States – contributed to the positive contractual momentum, with year-over-year growth ranging from 3.9 percent to 41 percent.
Other notable highlights from the first quarter include the following:
- High End Color Laser Devices (45 ppm+) continued to grow year-over-year, gaining 8.4 percent in 1Q16.
- Epson maintained its year-over-year growth streak, albeit at a more conservative rate of 6.7 percent this quarter, versus an average of about 19 percent in 2015. The China market was largely responsible for pulling down Epson’s growth rate after the vendor and its channels effectively reached their fiscal year targets during the last three quarters of 2015.
- HP grew its total laser business 3.0 percent year-over-year in North America (United States and Canada), accounting for 39 percent share. The Color Laser 21-30 ppm segment grew by 785.5 percent annually, as both printer and MFP shipments moved upstream. IDC says the HP Color LaserJet M2xx family is driving demand, as HP has found great acceptance of the new Jet Advantage technology.
|Worldwide Hardcopy Peripherals, Unit Shipments, Market Share, and Year-over-Year Growth, Q1 2016|
|Vendors||1Q16 Unit Shipments||1Q16 Market Share||1Q15 Unit Shipmentd||1Q15 Market Share||1Q16/1Q15 Growth|
|1. HP Inc||8,385,014||36.3%||10,304,907||39.9%||-18.6%|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, May 2016|
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- May 2016: IDC: Western Europe Printer, MFP Shipments Down, but Business Inkjet Rebounds
- March 2016: IDC: Global Production-Printer Market up 5.2 Percent in Fourth-Quarter 2015
- March 2016: IDC: 45-PPM Color-Laser Segment Continues to Show Strong Growth in 4th Quarter
- December 2015: IDC: Worldwide Printer/Copier/MFP Market Declines in Third Quarter, but Business-Inkjet Shipments up 16.3 Percent
- December 2015: Global Large-Format Printer Market Hits Dip Again in Third Quarter, Reports IDC
- December 2015: Global Production-Printer Shipments Near Double-Digit Growth in Third-Quarter 2015, Reports IDC
- August 2015: IDC: Second-Quarter Large-Format Printer Market is Slow, but 2015 Still Ahead of 2014 Shipments
- August 2015: IDC: Printer/MFP Market Down in Second Quarter, but Epson Outperforms All Vendors for Second Quarter in a Row