You’re probably aware of the numerous claims by various manufacturers that their laptop PC is the “thinnest on the market.” However, you’re probably unaware that not all of them report it in the same manner. In other words, some manufacturers report the value at the thinnest point, while others report the value at the thickest point of the dimension.
In order to make sense of this disorder and make a firm claim of “thinnest laptop PC,” HP Inc. commissioned Wirth Consulting to validate claims that HP’s new Spectre 13 laptop PC is the thinnest laptop PC available on the world market today.
What’s the Definition of a Laptop PC?
We used the following criteria for our study:
- Portable PC with clamshell design and non-detachable (by user) mechanical keyboard.
- Support for Microsoft Windows and/or Apple OSX operating system.
- Utilizes the latest Skylake/Broadwell processors (as of April 4, 2016).
- Laptop PC vendors shipping more than one million units worldwide in 2015.
- All price ranges.
This criteria resulted in over 100 laptop PC models from Acer, Apple, ASUS, Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, Samsung, and Toshiba that were included in our study. Click or tap here to view a data summary of the models that we evaluated.
- Select samples per above.
- Research publicly available product dimensions.
- Determine the width of each laptop PC at its thickest point.
- Summarize the research results and produce a research report with included validation statement.
Research Results and Validation Statement
Per an evaluation of selected samples available as of April 4, 2016, Wirth Consulting validates that the forthcoming HP Spectre laptop PC is the “World’s Thinnest Laptop PC” as defined by the selection criteria. Click or tap here in order to view the validation report.