Rochester Institute of Technology to Certify Papers for Use with Canon’s Wide-Format Inkjet Printers
Canon U.S.A. reports that, for the first time, it will join the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT), Printing Applications Laboratory, located in Rochester, New York, in offering a streamlined media-certification process for Canon’s imagePROGRAF wide-format color inkjet printer series. The collaboration will help photography, fine-art, and paper vendors determine and promote compatibility with the imagePROGRAF portfolio, including Canon’s just-announced imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 (see story here).
As part of this Canon Alliance Partner Program (CAPP), an initiative for third-party suppliers and vendors, RIT will test media with imagePROGRAF systems to confirm compatibility. The testing looks into both paper properties and print properties. A few of the attributes tested include grammage, caliper, opacity, registration, line raggedness, and optical density, among many others. Upon passing the test, vendors will receive a certification enabling them to advertise media compatibility with imagePROGRAF systems.
In addition to helping photographers identify high-quality media, Canon says the certification can also identify new possibilities for vendors, including the potential to expand their customer base, opportunities to be included in future imagePROGRAF portfolios, company presence on the Canon U.S.A. Web site, partnership with Canon for trade shows, and access to imagePROGRAF systems.
RIT’s Printing Applications Lab provides the print industry with empirical approaches to control and improve the quality of their products and expand industry professionals’ knowledge. RIT programs include media-certification programs, assistance with product development, and corporate-education programs.
For more information and to apply for the certification, visit Canon U.S.A. here.
- October 2015: New Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Professional Photo Printer with New Print Head, Inks, More
- October 2015: Canon Expanding into Textile-Printing Market with Media One Partnership
- July 2015: New Large-Format imagePROGRAF iPF850/840/830 Printers, New Media Portfolio, from Canon
- January 2015: New Large-Format Inkjet imagePROGRAF iPF670, imagePROGRAF iPF770 Printers from Canon
- July 2014: Canon Extends imagePROGRAF Large-Format Lineup with Six New Models
- February 2014: New Canon SE Series imagePROGRAF Large-Format Printers Start at $2,495