Judge: Vermont Can Proceed with Case Against MPHJ for Allegedly Violating Consumer-Protection Laws
On Monday, the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont issued a decision that will force patent-holder MPHJ Technology Investments to face charges filed by the Vermont attorney general that MPHJ violated Vermont’s consumer-protection laws with its practice of sending out tens of thousands of demand letters to businesses. The letters stated that the typically small business must pony-up $1,000 per employee for using a copier/MFP’s scan to email or face a patent-infringement lawsuit from MPHJ.
MPHJ had previously tried to move the Vermont case into federal court, but lost that appeal in 2014. It then filed a second appeal seeking, arguing that Vermont’s new patent-related consumer protection law, the Vermont Bad Faith Assertions of Patent Infringement Act, (“BFAPIA”), was preempted by federal law.
- August 2015: Big Win for Lexmark, Ricoh, Xerox, as Patent Board Finds Eight of MPHJ’s Scan Patents Unpatentable
- June 2015: Lexmark, Ricoh, Xerox ‘Blast’ MPHJ’s Claimed Scan Patents Before U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- September 2014: Judge Dismisses MPHJ Technology’s Lawsuit Against Federal Trade Commission
- August 2014: Vermont AG Suit against ‘Patent Troll’ MPHJ Technology to Proceed
- November 2014: FTC: MPHJ Can Continue to Send Demand Letters for Use of Scan Patents
- March 2014: Ricoh, Xerox, Lexmark File Petition with U.S. Patent Office to Invalidate MPHJ’s Scan-Patent Claims
- January 2014: Judge: MPHJ Technology can Continue Sending Cease-and-Desist Scan-Patent Enforcement Letters
- January 2014: MPHJ Technology Files Scan-Patent Infringement Lawsuits against Four Companies, Including Coca-Cola and Dillard’s
- November 2013: MPHJ Sues First Company over Alleged Scan-to-email Patent Violations
- August 2013: In a First, MPHJ Technology Agrees to Stop Scan to eMail ‘Patent Trolling’ in a U.S. State
- June 2013: Canon Works Out Agreement with MPHJ to Shield Canon Customers from Scan to email Patent-Infringement Lawsuits
- May 2013: MPHJ Lawyers Defend Scan to Email Lawsuits: “We’re Not Trying to Harass People”
- May 2013: HP Joins the Fray Against MPHJ Technology, Says its Own Products Pre-Date Scan Patents