This Week in Imaging: Paper or Digital, It’s the Same Thing; New HP 3D Printer Group; More
One comment that Xerox CEO Ursula Burns made a few years ago has stuck with us – that Xerox has always been about the document, whatever form it’s in (paper or electronic). That’s increasingly true today, as we continue to see Xerox and others look beyond paper to more efficient and faster routing of documents and information to the correct locations and person, faster extraction of needed data, and the making of better decisions with documents and information. That seems to be behind the interesting new ad campaign Xerox company rolled out this week, “Work Can Work Better.” Of course, paper still has it’s place – it’s handy, no WiFi connection is needed, and some sectors (such as legal) still demand it – and it will be around for some time. But ultimately, paper or digital, it’s all about getting information to the right person at the right time – whether you’re an accountant, tourist, sports fan, CEO, consumer, etc., – and always will be.
Hewlett-Packard this week announced that it’ll be adding new color inkjets that will be eligible for (or bundled with) its Instant Ink ink-cartridge subscription program. This announcement, plus new products from Epson and Brother, lead us to believe that the “razor-and-blades” business model for inkjets is dead. There’s only one major vendor yet to address cost of ink and that’s Canon, which so far hasn’t responded with any initiative of its own.
As for toner-based vendors, OKI consistently addresses niche printer markets. Witness this week’s introduction of the C942, the latest generation of OKI’s C900 multimedia production platform printer series, with its five developing units that include single-pass white or clear toner printing. The OKI lineup also includes the CW711WT, a color printer with white-toner-printing that’s specifically designed to print on image-transfer media. Finally, OKI has color toner-based envelope printers with white toner, and label printers that can print on rolls of labels.
These offerings are affordably priced (the C900 series starts at $3,699), giving print shops the ability to easily get in on short-run production and specialized printing.
- HP Announces New Instant Ink-Eligible Inkjets; New Officejets with One- and Two-Year Instant Ink Subscriptions – Read more here.
- HP Creating New 3D-Printing Group to Be Led by Steven Nigro – Read more here.
- PrinterOn’s Enterprise, Express Mobile-Print Solutions Now Available On Premise or via Cloud Deployment – Read more here.
- Nuance Releases Next-Generation AutoStore 7, eCopy ShareScan 5.4 for More Efficient Paper-to-Digital Workflow – Read more here.
- Canon Updates imageRUNNER ADVANCE Desktop Workflow Software with Improved UI, PDF Tool – Read more here.
Commercial- and Production-Printing News
- New OKI C942 Billed as Fastest Color Production Printer in its Class – Read more here.
- Xerox Continues Acquisition of Healthcare-Related Companies with inVentiv Patient Access Acquisition – Read more here.
- New Xerox Ad Campaign, ‘Work Can Work Better,’ Focuses on IT and Insight to Make Work Easier – Read more here.
The Third Dimension
Become a Sponsor and Get the Word Out
Want to get the word out about your product or solution? This weekly newsletter reaches the movers and shakers in the digital-imaging industry, and our Web site is viewed by thousands of readers throughout the world. Contact Kathy Wirth to learn about our affordable advertising rates and how you can reach our readers through either this newsletter or at our Web site, wirthconsulting.org.
Visit alexa.com for verification.