HP Creating New 3D-Printing Group to Be Led by Steven Nigro
Hewlett-Packard is reportedly appointing Steve Nigro to oversee a new 3D printing business it’s creating after it splits into two separate businesses, HP Inc. and HP Enterprise, on November 1st, according to an internal memo obtained by Fortune.
Steve Nigro is currently HP’s senior vice president of HP’s printing and imaging group.
According to the memo obtained by Fortune, Dion Weisler, who will be CEO of HP Inc., wrote, “As our first 3D printing product nears commercial availability, I’m creating a new 3D printing business group and center of excellence. With that in mind, I have asked Stephen Nigro to turn his entire focus to 3D Printing, continuing to report to me.”
HP’s Enrique Lores, who currently leads HP’s EMEA PC business, will take over Nigro’s role and lead HP’s printing group, and will report to Dion Weisler. On November 1st, HP will split into two companies, HP Inc., which will be devoted to printing and personal computing, and HP Enterprise, which will be devoted to software and solutions for large companies and enterprises.
In October 2014, HP previewed its first 3D printer, the Multi Jet Fusion – which it says provides faster print speeds and stronger object strength and detail than competitors – and plans to release it in 2016 (see our story here). As we reported recently, however, one challenge for HP in the 3D-printer market may be a patent-infringement lawsuit recently filed by competitor Memjet. The suit alleges that HP’s PageWide printing technology infringes on various Memjet patents. HP uses PageWide in various inkjet printers and All-in-Ones, and reportedly is planning to use it in future 3D printers.
- August 2015: Memjet Files Patent-Infringement Lawsuit Against HP, Claims HP Infringed on Page-Wide Printing Patents
- July 2015: New HP Sprout 3D Scanner with Dremel 3D Printer Bundle is End-to-End 3D Design System
- July 2015: HP Ventures Investing in Shapeways, a 3D-Printing Service Provider
- January 2014: HP: Intel’s I7 Chip to Power HP’s Multi Jet Fusion 3D Printer
- November 2014: HP’s Dion Weisler: The Vision and Promise of Blended Reality
- October 2014: HP Delivers its First 3D Printer, Said to be Faster and Offering More Object Strength and Detail