This Week in Imaging: Overcoming Declining Print Volumes
We’ve discussed the gradual decline of office printing and copying in the past and one thing that keeps becoming apparent for those who market office print-and-copy is the importance of diversity. No, we don’t think office print-and-copy is going to drop off the face off the earth anytime soon – but print volumes in many regions, especially in the United States, are likely to continue to be on a gradual decline. Consequently, whether it’s new printing solutions or managed document or managed services, the key is branching out. Some examples include OKI with its light-production specialty printers, managed document services from Xerox, workflow solutions from Lexmark, and 3D printing from Hewlett-Packard and Konica Minolta (the latter of which is also exploring robotics).
One segment where print is likely never to go away though is the label- and package-printing segment. Even barcodes must be printed. Until someone can come up with a way to quickly identify and advertise a product without printing on it or on paper attached to the product, label and package printing will be with us for a long, long time – and remains a strong growth market, as evidenced by IDC’s latest research released this week.
And, as the artisan movement marches on, there will be increased demand for short-run labeling solutions that will in turn spur research into the development of lower-cost and low-volume label- and package-printing solutions.
- DEX Imaging Acquires Managed-Print Services Provider TotalPrint – Read more here.
- Three Reasons Why Copier Dealers Need to Offer Managed Services – Read more here.
Commercial- and Production-Printing News
- IDC: Label- and Package-Printing Market to Experience Strong Growth Throughout 2019 – Read more here.
- Three New Fiery Digital Front Ends for Konica Minolta Production Printers – Read more here.
- Memjet Opening New San Diego HQ for Growing Number of Employees, New Product Development – Read more here.
- Gartner: Canon U.S.A. #1 in U.S. A3 Mono Copier-Printer Market – Read more here.
- Konica Minolta: Beware Suspicious eMail Messages Sent from Konica Minolta MFPs – Read more here.
- Canon Settles PIXMA Print-Head Class-Action Lawsuit – Customers Eligible for Extended Warranty – Read more here.
- Brother Beats Toner-Cartridge Class-Action Lawsuit – Read more here.