What is a “true” large-format color inkjet All-in-One (AiO)? Said device is a rarity in the world of desktop inkjet printers and has an A3/11″x17″-size flatbed platen, a document feeder that can automatically duplex-scan originals as large as A3/11″x17″, and automatic duplex printing of media as large as A3/11″x17.”
Brother’s new INKvestment MFC-J6925dw has these features and more. In our tests and evaluation, we found that this is a remarkable device that is produced by what are arguably the world’s finest craftsmen: the Japanese. From its humble roots as Yasui Sewing Machine Co. founded in 1908 by Kanekichi Yasui, Brother International has morphed into a company that produces a wide range of high-quality products and the MFC-J6925dw is a testament to their expertise.
Every inch of the way throughout testing we were struck by the details and innovation:
- Re-packing instructions are printed on the flap of the shipping carton.
- No tape (a first) and only a single insert to remove during setup and unlike several recently tested units that had plenty of tape and inserts, there was no damage to either the shipping materials or the test unit.
- A 208-page “Basic User Guide” printed in English only is provided (a rarity and varies by region), replete with bleed-through chapterization indicators on its long edge.
- Just like your copier from the days of yore, media is fed long-edge first, and originals can be positioned in either orientation (a first for a desktop printer), thus maximizing productivity by 29% in theory while saving desktop space.
- A fast Duplexing Automatic Document Feeder (DADF) with single-pass duplex scanning folds closed for safety and aesthetics.
- A touch panel/touch screen that can be adjusted to several angles for optimum viewing.
- A3 media can be fed from all three trays.
- Local user authentication with function lock and user quotas.
- Large ink cartridges that are easily accessed and serviced from the front of the unit.
- Fax, LAN and USB cables are routed internally for a clean appearance.
On the software side, it was of high quality and had a range of contemporary features:
- Fleet-management capabilities with Brother’s BRAdmin management solutions and BRPrint Auditor for locally connected devices..
- A Printer Deployment Wizard is available.
- No print driver required when remotely access from networked PCs.
- Touch-screen shortcuts that include scan settings and destinations.
- Robust cloud-based solutions.
- Robust remote/mobile printing and scanning options.
The icing on the cake is the INKvestment advantage: the lowest black and color cost per page that we have seen from any non CISS-equipped desktop printer – only 1.2¢ for a black ISO page and 5.0¢ for a color ISO page.
Print Technology: Thermal 4-Cartidge Color Piezo Inkjet Technology
Max. Print Resolution: 600 x 1,200 dpi
Max. Printing Size: 11″ x 17″
Max. Automatic Duplex Printing Size: 11″ x 17″
Flatbed Platen Size: 11” x 17”
Display: 3.7″ Swipe-Enabled LCD Touch Screen with Touch Panel
Maximum Monthly Duty Cycle: 26,000 Pages
Recommended Monthly Print Volume: 250 – 1.500 Pages
ISO Black/Color Print Speed: 22/20 ppm
Max. Black/Color Print Speed: 35/27 ppm
Borderless Printing: Photo (4″x6″), Photo L (3.5″x5″), Photo 2L (5″x7″), Index Card (5″x8″), Letter, A4, Ledger, A3, A6
Printer Language: GDI (Windows/Mac OS)
Type: Single-Pass Duplex Scanning (35 Sheets)
Min. Original Size: 5.8″ x 5.8″
Max. Original Size: 11.7″ x 17″
Originals Weights: 17-24 lbs.
ISO-based Black/Color Copy Speed: 12/9 ppm
Maximum Black/Color Copy Speed: 23/20 ppm
Copy Features: 2-in-1; 4-in-1; ID Copy; Poster Printing
Scan Capability: B/W; Color; Duplex
Max. Scan Resolution: 19,200 x 19,200 dpi (Interpolated); 2,400 x 2,400 dpi (Optical)
Scan Features: Image; OCR; Email; File; FTP; Media Cards; USB Flash Memory Drive; Email Server; Network (CIFS)
Scan File Formats: TIFF; JPEG; BMP; MAX; HTM; PCX; DCX; PNG; FPX; PDF
Scan/Document Software: Scansoft PaperPort v12 SE with OCR for Windows (PaperPort 11SE for Windows 2000; Presto! PageManager for Mac)