IDC: Positive Gains for Worldwide Production-Printer Market; Xerox is Leader
The worldwide production-printer market enjoyed 7.5 percent year-over-year growth in unit shipments in the first quarter of 2015 (1Q15), according to the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker. Unit shipments grew to approximately 11,167 units (printers and MFPs), and shipment value increased 3.6 percent to nearly $1.2 billion in the same time period.
Note that in its research for its Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker, IDC tracks mid-, production (full-production), and label-and-packaging printers and multifunctional systems (MFPs).
Highlights from the first quarter results include the following:
- All of IDC’s regional markets saw positive year-over-year shipment growth in the production-print market, with the exception of Latin America and the Middle East and Africa (MEA). Key contributors to the overall growth worldwide were Japan, which grew 12.4 percent year over year, Western Europe (13.7 percent) and Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (16.0 percent).
- All categories in the production-print market recorded double-digit year-over-year gains. The mid-production-printer segment experienced 2.5 percent shipment growth, production had 31.7 percent growth, and Label & Packaging was at 12.4 percent year-over-year growth.
- Color laser grew by 76.1 percent on a year-over-year basis. The Fuji Xerox Versant 2100 Press and Konica Minolta bizhub Press C1100 have each been growing their presence in this segment and contributed significantly to the growth of the color laser market.
“Color drove the production market, and it wasn’t just high-speed inkjet having a great quarter. Color laser saw a double-digit gain as that technology grew nearly 20 percent on an annual basis. Mid-production color laser is also contributing quite a bit of sales volume but laser full-production was the real story of the first quarter of the year,” commented Amy Machado, senior research analyst for IDC’s Hardcopy Peripheral Solutions group. “New entrants like the Xerox Versant and the Konica Minolta bizhub PRESS C1000 – production-class machines with a lower price point – are seeing very strong demand. High-speed inkjet presses saw nearly 40 percent annual shipment gains, as Ricoh had one its biggest sales quarters ever. And the digital Label & Packaging market was no slouch this quarter, growing over 10 percent compared to the first quarter of 2014. While inkjet is poised for growth, it’s the laser devices from both HP and Xeikon that are currently the pushing the adoption of digital in the L&P market.”
Worldwide Production Market Share, 2015 Q1 (based on shipment value)*
1Q15 Shipment Value ($M)
1Q15 Market Share
1Q14 Shipment Value ($M)
1Q14 Market Share
|1. Xerox Group1|
|3. Ricoh Group2|
|4. Konica Minolta Group3|
|5. Canon Group4|
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Production Printer Tracker, May 2015
1Xerox Group: Xerox, Fuji Xerox
2Rioch Group: Gestetner (NRG), Lanier, Nashua, Nashuatec, Rex Rotary, Ricoh, Ricoh Industry
3Konica Minolta Group: Develop, ITEC, Konica Minolta, Sindoh,
4Canon Group: Canon, Showa Jyoho
* Includes Mid Production, Production (full production) and Label & Packaging.
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- March 2015: Worldwide Production-Print Market Enjoys Double-Digit Growth in Fourth-Quarter 2014
- March 2015: IDC: Canon is Market Leader in U.S. Cut-Sheet Production-Print Market
- April 2015: InfoTrends: Canon is U.S. and Worldwide Continuous-Feed Inkjet Printer Market-Share Leader
- July 2014: IDC: Global Digital Color Production-Print Market to Reach Nearly $25 Billion from 2014-2018
- June 2014: IDC: Global Production-Printing Market Achieves Double-Digit Growth in First-Quarter 2014
- May 2014: IDC: High-Speed Inkjet-Printing Will Continue to Dominate Global Continuous-Feed Production-Printing Market
- April 2014: Ricoh Named Market-Share Leader in U.S. High-Speed Inkjet Placements for Six Years Running
- September 2013: IDC: Worldwide Production-Printer System Shipments up 15 Percent