Revenue Flat, Loss for Nuance Communications in Second-Quarter 2015
May 12, 2015 – Nuance Communications has reported financial results for its second-quarter fiscal 2015, with revenue of $475.1 million, compared to $475.7 million in second-quarter 2014.
Non-GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) revenue was $488.1 million, which includes $13.0 million of revenue lost to in conjunction with acquisitions, compared to $490.0 million in non-GAPP revenue for second-quarter 2014. Nuance says its second-quarter 2015 revenue was negatively affected by currency fluctuations, and that if it had applied second-quarter 2014 currency-exchanged rates to its second-quarter 2015 revenue, second-quarter 2015 revenue would have been approximately $14 million higher.
In the second quarter of fiscal 2015, Nuance recognized a net loss of $14.1 million, or $0.04 per share, compared to a net loss of $39.2 million, or $0.12 per share, for second-quarter 2014.
Nuance reported cash flow from operations of $119.9 million in second-quarter 2015, up 37.8 percent from $87.0 million in second-quarter 2014. The firm ended second-quarter 2015 with $637.8 million in total deferred revenue, up 26.3 percent from $504.9 million at the end of second-quarter fiscal 2014.
In second-quarter 2015, Nuance reported net new bookings of $304.7 million. It ended second-quarter 2015 with $566.9 million in cash, cash equivalents, and marketable securities.
“Nuance delivered second-quarter revenue and EPS that exceeded our guidance. Our improved EPS, operating margin and operating cash flow reflect the results of our continuing efficiency and cost-control initiatives. We are also building shareholder value through renewed execution under our stock-repurchase plan, which we recently increased by $500 million,” commented Nuance CFO Tom Beaudoin. (During second-quarter 2015, Nuance repurchased 8.557 million shares of its common stock, for a total amount of $120.3 million at an average price per share of $14.06.)
- February 2015: NUANCE REPORTS LOSS FOR FIRST QUARTER, BUT REVENUE EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS
- January 2015: CHINESE COMPANY BAIDU RUMORED TO BE ACQUIRING NUANCE COMMUNICATIONS
- November 2014: NUANCE’S FOURTH-QUARTER EXCEEDS FORECAST, BUT REPORTS LOSS FOR FULL YEAR
- August 2014: REVENUE UP FOR NUANCE’S THIRD QUARTER, BUT FIRM REPORTS A LOSS
- May 2014: LOSS FOR NUANCE’S SECOND QUARTER, BUT SALES ARE UP
- January 2014: NUANCE REPORTS PRELIMINARY RESULTS FOR FIRST QUARTER, REVENUE, EPS BETTER THAN EXPECTED
- November 2013: REVENUE UP 12.3 PERCENT FOR NUANCE’S FISCAL YEAR, BUT REPORTS LOSS FOR FULL YEAR AND FOURTH QUARTER
- August 2013: NUANCE REPORTS LOSS FOR THIRD QUARTER, BUT REVENUE IS UP