90 Percent of 3D Printer Users ‘Very Satisfied’ According to IDC Survey
May 12, 2015 – The 3D-printer market is poised to take a major step forward as adoption rates increase and solutions become more viable, according to market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC). According to new survey findings from IDC, opportunities abound, as 90 percent of respondents at companies that utilize 3D printing are “very satisfied” with their experience. IDC says much of this high satisfaction is tied to the business benefits gained from the ongoing use of 3D printers in the creation process.
Manufacturing and very large companies currently represent the most promise for 3D printer sales, according to IDC. However, it says new pockets of opportunity will continue to emerge. “These printers are typically acquired for a specific creation workflow, but once in place the usage expands rapidly to other types of applications,” commented Keith Kmetz, vice president, of IDC’s Hardcopy Peripherals Solutions and Services. “The early adopters who recognized the substantial cost and time-to-market benefits of 3D printing have carried the day, but it’s their overall satisfaction and the ability to expand usage that will ultimately drive 3D printing to the next level.”
Other survey findings include: the following:
- Features such as ease of use and service/support are nearly as important to respondents as price.
- A direct vendor-to-customer relationship is key, but this varies from company size and vertical market.
- 3D-printer penetration percentage climbs with the size of the organization.
- Current non-users show a rather tepid interest in 3D printers overall, but IDC expects this to change in the near term as 3D printers expand into more mainstream adoption.
The IDC study, Survey Analysis Shows Solid Market Opportunity for 3D Printers (IDC #255658), presents the findings of IDC’s comprehensive 3D printer market survey. This U.S.-based, online survey was conducted in late fall 2014, and examines current 3D printer use, satisfaction levels, feature importance, and channel preferences. To order this research, contact an IDC Sales representative, or IDC Sales at 508-988-7988 or email@example.com,
- May 2015: CAROLINA WHOLESALE GROUP TO DISTRIBUTE 3D SYSTEMS’ CONSUMER 3D PRINTERS
- March 2015: CARBON3D’S 3D PRINTING SAID TO BE UP TO 100-TIMES FASTER THAN CONVENTIONAL 3D PRINTING
- October 2014: ‘COPIER’ DEALER NOVACOPY EMBRACING 3D PRINTING, LAUNCHES 3D-PRINTING UNIVERSITY
- September 2014: RICOH AIMING TO BRING ITS OWN 3D PRINTERS TO MARKET IN 2016
- August 2014: GARTNER: MAINSTREAM CONSUMER ADOPTION OF 3D PRINTING IS FIVE YEARS AWAY
- July 2014: KONICA MINOLTA LAYS OUT COMPELLING ROADMAP FOR PRINTING: FROM PRODUCTION, TO OFFICE, A4, AND 3D PRINTING