This Week in Imaging: Thoughts on OKI’s New A3 Color MFP; HP PageWide XL Wide-Format Printers; Canon Enhances MFP Security; More
With its innovative marketing and products, we’re big fans of OKI and its products. Plus, we’ve recently speculated that the company will eventually move away from the use of third-party platforms, control panels, and controllers in lieu of home-brewed solutions. Indeed, both OKI Data Americas and OKI Europe recently introduced the new MC873 A3 color MFP series that employs OKI’s sXP (smart Extendable Platform), OKI’s embedded open platform that enables integration of optional business solutions. The benefits of OKI in-house development are the ability to create customized workflows, and a consistent look and feel across the line, from the control panel, to software, to OKI’s PrintSuperVision fleet-management solution with Job Accounting plug-in. All-in-all, this transition is a win-win for both OKI resellers and customers alike.
As for the MC873 series, there’s pricing that starts at under $5,000 for A3 color, and there’s OKI Data America’s COREFIDO five-year warranty that provides 60 months of free parts and on-site labor. This translates into a very compelling acquisition price point and TCO proposition for many customers – and a very competitive offering from OKI.
For other vendors this week, it’s all about security, with Canon U.S.A. adding a new feature to its imageWare Secure Audit Manager, and Konica Minolta providing an update for secure printing of prescription forms. When it comes to digital security – which includes printers and MFPs – of note is this sobering research from IDC: 80 percent of organizations expect to suffer at least one successful attack causing serious harm that requires remediation. IDC’s analysis also found that the average total cost of a data breach was $1.3 million.
HP continues to leverage its page-wide color inkjet printing – from desktop All-in-Ones, to MFPs, to 3D printing, and now to wide-format printing with its new PageWide XL Wide-Format printers that use a series of stacked page-wide print heads.
- HP Previews New PageWide XL Wide-Format Color Inkjet Production Printers – Read more here.
- OKI Europe Rolls Out New A3 ‘Smart’ MC800 Color MFP Series – Read more here.
- New Canon imageWARE Secure Audit Manager Express V2.1 Audits MFP Document Activity – Read more here.
- Konica Minolta Adds Prescription-Form Printing with bizhub MFPs to Dispatcher Phoenix Healthcare – Read more here.
- With Mobile Printing Hub, Print to Virtually Any PCL Printer with a USB Port from Mobile Devices – Read more here.
- Ricoh Brings ‘Big-Business Power’ to Small Offices with New Desktop A4 Printer, MFPs – Read more here.
Production and Professional Printing
- Epson’s New SureColor Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer Prints on 17″ Wide Media – Read more here.
- New Job Finisher for Xerox Wide-Format IJP 2000 for Printing as Fast as Five Seconds per Page – Read more here.
- HP Appoints Antonio Lucio Chief Marketing Officer of HP Inc. – Read more here.
The Third Dimension