Sharp Says it Currently has No Plans to Spin-Off LCD Business
April 7, 2015 – Yesterday, Sharp Corporation of Japan issued a press release stating that, despite several speculative media reports regarding Sharp’s possible spin-off of its LCD business, and funding from Innovation Network Corporation of Japan (INCJ), these reports are not based on any Sharp announcement.
The firm says it’s currently considering various possibilities for fundamental structural reforms, including for its LCD business, “but there are no fact of specific decisions made at this time.” Sharp is currently reviewing its new Medium-Term Management Plan, which it will announce next month.
Late last month, Sharp also denied rumors that it would be cutting its global workforce by some 6,000 jobs.
- March 2015: SHARP SAYS GLOBAL WORKFORCE LAYOFFS NOT NECESSARILY PLANNED
- February 2015: SHARP FALTERS WITH LATEST FINANCIAL RESULTS, BUT MFP BUSINESS SEES GAINS
- January 2015: SHARP EXPECTS FINANCIAL RESULTS TO FALL SHORT OF FORECAST
- January 2015: SHARP SELLS U.S. HQ IN MAHWAH, BUT WILL LEASE SITE TO STAY THERE
- November 2014: SHARP REPORTS PROFITABLE FISCAL HALF-YEAR; FORECASTS HIGHER SALES FOR FULL YEAR
- August 2014: SHARP REPORTS SMALLER LOSS FOR QUARTER, ON TRACK FOR PROFIT FOR FULL YEAR
- February 2014: STRONG THIRD QUARTER FOR SHARP; RAISES NET SALES FORECAST FOR FULL YEAR
- November 2013: FIRST QUARTERLY PROFIT FOR SHARP JAPAN IN TWO YEARS, STRONG SALES OF COLOR MFPS
- September 2013: SHARP CORPORATION REPORTS SUBSTANTIAL LOSS FOR FISCAL YEAR; MFP BUSINESS RELATIVELY EVEN
- September 2013: SHARP CORPORATION MAY RELEASE NEW PUBLIC SHARES IN EFFORT TO PAY DOWN DEBT
- August 2013: SHARP CANCELS JOINT COPIER SALES COMPANY WITH SAMSUNG
- August 2013: SHARP REPORTS IMPROVING FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE FOR ITS FIRST QUARTER