Xerox’s Unique New DocuMate 5540 Scanner Features Both Platen and Document Feeder
February 18, 2015 – Need a desktop scanner with a flatbed platen for scanning bulky or fragile originals, but also want the speed and convenience of a document feeder? Xerox’s new Xerox DocuMate 5540 ($1,695 MSRP) may just be the solution, as it incorporates both flatbed scanner and sheet-fed scanner with 70-page automatic document feeder (ADF).
“The DocuMate 5540 is now our premier mid-level ADF/flatbed combination model positioned directly between the DocuMate 4830 and DocuMate 3220 in both pricing and specifications,” commented Jon Harju, chief technology officer at Visioneer, a Xerox licensing partner. “Intended for department and workgroup users who need to scan a high number of assorted document types and media, it offers a truly versatile and robust option for those customers requiring a straight paper path, legal-size flatbed, low maintenance, and excellent paper handling.”
Xerox notes that in this year’s AIIM Industry Watch report, Paper Wars 2014 – Update from the Battlefield, analysts found that even though office workers are mobile, computer literate, and aware that paper-free processes improve productivity and lower costs, most organizations are still struggling against a tide of paper documents. A surprising 68 percent of people polled in the report believe paper-centric processes to be unacceptable, and 21 percent find their paper use to be increasing.
DocuMate 5540 Features
The DocuMate 5540 scans 40 double-sided pages in less than a minute, and has a legal-size flatbed for scanning bound notebooks, and thin or damaged documents and transparencies.
Other features include:
- Custom color and multi-color dropout: A color-dropout feature allows the user to specify up to three custom colors to be removed during scanning by simply previewing a sample page and selecting a location that contains the unnecessary color.
- Roller-based page separation provides more reliable paper feeding and longer lifespan than pad-separation technology, reducing scanner maintenance.
- Front-to-back design: Raising the flatbed cover does not require lifting the ADF, so the flatbed cover is light weight, easier to open, and accessible for disabled users.
- CCD image sensor: Xerox says the charge-coupled device (CCD) sensor allows for a larger depth of field and a broader color range during the scanning process, resulting in better image quality especially when scanning wrinkled or folded documents.
- A straight paper path enables scanning of rigid documents, such as plastic ID and insurance cards, which is especially useful for healthcare and pharmacy applications.
- Acuity PDF file image enhancement software automatically adjusts the visual clarity of every scanned image by improving character legibility, straightening pages, and removing shadows from scanned images.
The DocuMate 5540 also includes DriverPLUS PDF file TWAIN technology, Nuance PaperPort Pro Version 14 software, Nuance OmniPage Pro Version 18 software, and Nuance PDF Converter Pro Version 7 software. The scanner is now available in the Americas and Europe, Middle East, and Africa through online channel partners, value-added resellers, and major resellers. For more information and complete specifications, visit Xerox here.
- August 2014: NEW XEROX DOCUMATE 4830 SCANNER UP TO 67-PERCENT FASTER
- June 2014: NEW XEROX DOCUMENT SCANNERS USE IMAGE PROCESSING CHIP FOR FASTER DOCUMENT SCANNING
- April 2014: NEW DESKTOP SCANNERS FROM XEROX, THE DIGITAL DESKTOP ORGANIZER AND DIGITAL PERSONAL ORGANIZER
- March 2014: TECH DATA TO DISTRIBUTE XEROX DOCUMATE SCANNERS IN EUROPE
- October 2013: XEROX BUNDLING DIAMOND VISION SOFTWARE FOR PRODUCTION-LEVEL SCANNING WITH SELECT DOCUMATE SCANNERS
- May 2013: NEW XEROX DOCUMATE 4700 SCANS UP TO 11″X17″ ORIGINALS, CAN BE LINKED TO XEROX ADF SCANNERS
- January 2013: NEW MOBILE, USB-POWERED TRAVEL SCANNER 150 FROM XEROX WITH SCAN TO CLOUD