Review: Retail Business-Class A4 Color MFPs – HP’s Officejet Pro X476dw is Best in Class
Any office or company whose core business entails paper-based transactions with customers must own a color All-in-One or MFP that can quickly, reliably, and economically produce high-quality color prints. While there are many candidates, Wirth Consulting narrows the field to Business-Class A4 Color MFPs available from the retail channel.
What is our definition of “Business-Class”? It’s a device that includes network interface, automatic duplex printing, automatic document feeder for All-in-Ones/MFPs, expandable standard media capacity that exceeds 251 sheets, and high-yield ink or toner capacity.
In this Head2Head Comparison, we compare 14 inkjet and toner-based systems from 11 vendors. Pricing ranges from $249.00 to $857.99 – and note that many models are heavily discounted. On the other hand, there is not as a significant disparity in feature sets as there is in Cost per Page, with inkjet candidates markedly more economical than their toner-based counterparts.
We determined that the Hewlett-Packard Officejet Pro X476dw with PageWide printing is Best in Class based on its following strengths:
- Very low Cost per Page and Total Cost of Ownership compared to competitors in this class.
- Very low energy consumption and noise output.
- Very easy and low maintenance, including high-capacity ink cartridges (9,000/6,200 ISO pages).
- Outstanding tested print quality, print speeds, and image permanence.
- Internet connectivity, downloadable business apps, and a host of mobile and remote-printing solutions.
- Support for HP management, deployment, and security solutions.
- Supports a wide variety of printer languages and operating systems.
- Eligible for HP’s Instant Ink Professional, a monthly subscription program under which ink is automatically shipped to customers. Customers pay a monthly fee for ink based on their monthly print volume, regardless of whether printed pages are black-and-white or color, or printed-page area coverage. Three plans are available; for instance, for $39.99 per month, customers can print up to 1,000 pages per month, which equates to 3.9 cents per page for black-and-white or color output, which is very economical compared to competitors’ Cost per Page in this segment.
(Watermarked; distribution or linking is prohibited.)
- Business-Class A4 Color MFPs (Retail) Head2Head Comparison Report
- HP Officejet Pro X476dw MFP What You Should Know Evaluation
Not-watermarked Competitive What You Should Know Evaluations for personal use only.
- Brother MFC-L8600CDW
- Canon imageCLASS MF9280Cdn
- Dell C2665dnf
- HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M476nw
- HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-AiO Printer
- Konica Minolta magicolor 4695MF
- Lexmark CX310dn
- OKI MC362w Color MFP
- Panasonic KX-MC6040
- Ricoh Aficio SG 3110SNw
- Ricoh SP C250SF
- Samsung CLX-6260FD
- Xerox WorkCentre 6505/DN
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Retail Channel)
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Dealer Channel)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (A-I)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (K-P)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (R-Z)
- About Reports
- How We Test