Top News for the Week of 10/6/2014 – What does the HP split mean for HP printing? Samsung and 3D Printing; More
The big news this week of course was the split of Hewlett-Packard into two companies – HP Enterprise Services, which will be devoted to infrastructure and software for large organizations, and HP Inc., which will consist of HP’s PC and printing groups. While it’s of course impossible to predict what effect this will have on the printer group in the long run, we should note that the printing group’s revenues have historically been used at least in part to develop new areas of HP business. HP CEO Meg Whitman in fact has reportedly said in the past that she would use the PC and printing group to help fund the enterprise group. That shouldn’t be the case anymore, so one effect may likely be more funneling of printer revenues back into printing. That may mean greater initiative in the 3D-printing market for HP. An HP 3D-printing announcement is scheduled for this fall. Some speculation that we came across recently is that HP may transfer its page-wide inkjet printing technology into 3D printing, perhaps in order to solve one of the biggest but often overlooked aspects of 3D printing – slow print speed, with it often taking hours – not minutes – to print 3D objects.
For the second week in a row, inkjet imaging goes to the forefront with the news that Epson continues to innovate with new bulk-ink delivery systems that will markedly drive down inkjet-printing costs. Meanwhile, HP’s legal department remains focused enough to take on a couple of third-party unauthorized inkjet-cartridge makers. Finally, it looks like we can lay off questioning Memjet’s product-distribution strategy, as yet another vendor has built itself a Memjet-powered commercial-printing printing system.
- HP to Split into Two Companies, One Dedicated to Enterprise Solutions, One to Personal Computing and Printing – Read more here.
New Products and Solutions
- Epson Releases New Ecotank All-in-Ones with Refillable Ink Tanks in Western Europe – Read more here.
- New Memjet-Powered Colordyne CDT 3600 Series Digital Label and Tag Production-Printing System – Read more here.
- New Konica Minolta Managed Content Services for Capturing, Sharing, and Retrieving Hardcopy-to-Digital Documents – Read more here.
- HP Sues Ninestar and Apex for Inkjet-Cartridge Patent Infringement – Read more here.
- ACM Agrees Not to Sell Alleged Canon Patent-Infringing Toner Cartridges in U.S. – Read more here.
- Samsung is in No Hurry to Enter 3D-Printing Market – Read more here.
- Brother’s New ‘Don’t Supersize. Optimize.’ Campaign: the Centralized MFP/Copier isn’t Always the Best Choice – Read more here.