Top News for the Week of 9/15/2014 – Mobile Print: Too Complicated? Hacked Printer; Memjet at Graph Expo; More
The Million Dollar Question(s)
This week, Epson America continues introducing its next-generation color inkjets, ranging from home and photo units, to small-business units. One thing that has struck us about these latest inkjets is the myriad forms of mobile-printing options they support – the latest models, by the way, are Mopria-certified for Android printing. Not only is there Android printing, but there’s also WiFi direct printing for some models, Near Field Communication (NFC) printing from NFC-enabled devices, Epson Remote Print, Epson iPrint app, Epson eMail Print, Google Cloud Print, Apple AirPrint, and more. Epson even has a dedicated Web site for helping users figure out the best solution for their needs.
The million-dollar question is really two questions: how easy is it for users to deploy and use these solutions, and do users want to even print from their mobile devices anyway? As for the latter, citing research from IDC, the Mopria Alliance, says 50-percent of smartphone and tablet users want to print currently and 75-percent say they’ll want to print by 2015.
But so far for the average user, mobile printing may still seem pretty challenging – they’re often presented with a complicated set of mobile-printing choices, required to download and install apps, and in the office, get help from IT. So in spite of the myriad of solutions mentioned above, is there any way left to make it easier for them?
New Products and Solutions
- Epson Launches its First Mopria-Certified All-in-Ones for Android Mobile Printing; New WorkForce Models – Read more here.
- Ricoh Adds Kofax Solutions for Advanced Integration of Data and Images into Business Processes – Read more here.
- New Epson Expression Photo XP-860 with Six-Color Ink System, Epson Connect Mobile and Cloud Connectivity – Read more here.
- New Canon imageFORMULA DR-M1060 Office Scanner for Scanning Ledger-Size Originals – Read more here.
- New Xerox DocuMate 3120 Saves Time Spent Searching for Paper Documents – Read more here.
- Canon PIXMA Printer Hacked to Demonstrate Vulnerability of ‘Internet of Things’ – Read more here.
- Memjet Partners to Showcase New and Current Printing Systems at Graph Expo 2014 – Read more here.
- Konica Minolta Acquires Results Engineering, Provider of Enterprise Content Management Solutions – Read more here.
- HP to Acquire Open-Source Provider Eucalyptus as Part of Open-Source Cloud Building – Read more here.
- Canon Successfully Concludes Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement Lawsuit Against Grand Image – Read more here.
- Print-Rite to Settle with Canon over Alleged Toner-Cartridge Patent-Infringement – Read more here.
- OKI Raises Forecast for Fiscal Half Year Due to Improving Printer Business – Read more here.