The B/W or monochrome printer is the basic building block for digital printing in any office. This group of printers is considered “enterprise-ready” because they offer the following features: 1) automatic duplex printing; 2) expandable standard media capacity of at least 251 sheets; 2) PCL and/or PostScript printer-language support; and 4) remote-management, deployment and security capabilities.
There are a wide range of printers that match this criteria from virtually every vendor (Brother, Canon, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, OKI, Samsung, Sharp, and Xerox) that range in price from $199.99 to $899.99. However, even with the disparity in suggested retail pricing, it was relatively easy to determine the most capable “enterprise ready” printer, mainly due to modularity and Total Cost of Ownership.
We determined that while it was the most expensive (and fastest) printer in this class (MSRP of $899.99), the OKI B721DN was Best in Class, as it is widely available at a significant discount and has the following features and benefits:
- Very low Cost per Page; low Total Cost of Ownership at higher monthly print volumes.
- Standard 530-sheet media capacity that can be expanded with three additional 530-sheet trays plus a 2,000-sheet Large Capacity Feeder for the highest in-class media capacity.
- Memory capacity of up to 768 MB and optional 160-GB hard drive.
- All-in-one high-capacity print cartridges with a highest in-class yield of up to 25,000 pages.
- Gigabit Ethernet networking.
- Backlit 5-line LCD graphic display.
- Can print the maximum media weight (253gsm) from all media sources, and on banners as long as 8.5″x52″.
- Barcode and Apple AirPrint mobile printing.
- Compatibility with OKI Professional PrintSupervision 4.0 management solution with Print Job Accounting and Print Job Accounting Enterprise.
(Watermarked; distribution or linking is prohibited.)
Enterprise-Ready A4 B/W Printers Head2Head Comparison Report
- OKI B721dn What You Should Know Evaluation
Not-watermarked Competitive What You Should Know Evaluations for personal use only.
- Brother HL-5450DN
- Canon imageCLASS LBP6670dn
- Dell B2360dn
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 Printer M401dne
- Konica Minolta pagepro 4650EN
- Kyocera FD-1370dn
- Lexmark MS310dn
- Ricoh SP 4100NL
- Samsung ProXpress M3320DN
- Sharp DX-P350P
- Xerox Phaser 3320/DNI