Worldwide Large-Format Printer Market Posts Third Consecutive Quarter of Growth
Market-research firm International Data Corporation (IDC) reports that the worldwide large-format printer (LFP) market recorded positive year-over-year results in both unit shipments (7.4-percent growth) and shipment value (3.7-percent growth) in first-quarter 2014. IDC says this marks the third consecutive quarter of growth in both unit shipments and shipment value. According to IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, the worldwide LFP market recorded approximately 81,500 unit shipments in the first quarter of 2014.Hewlett-Packard remained the market leader in first-quarter 2014, with approximately 40 percent market share.
“Shipments of UV-curable inkjet devices have been growing steadily over the past three years and IDC expects this trend to continue at a similar pace over the next three years,” commented Phuong Hang, Program Manager, Worldwide Large Format Printer Trackers.
In its research, IDC tracks A2-A0+ devices in the LFP market. The LFP market includes single-function printers, as well as MFPs.
- The technical segment increased 9.3 percent year-over-year to 49,500 units shipped and 61 share of the total LFP market in the first quarter. All of IDC’s regional markets experienced positive year-over-year growth in this segment, with four out of eight showing double-digit growth, including Asia/Pacific (excluding Japan) (10.5 percent), Japan (14.1 percent), Middle East & Africa (15.4 percent), and the United States (11.8 percent). Shipment value for this segment also grew 1.4 percent to more than $301 million in first-quarter 2014.
- The graphics-application segment grew 4.6 percent year-over-year and at 32,000 units accounted for 39 percent of the total LFP market. Five out of eight regional markets recorded year-over-year unit growth in this segment, with Japan leading the pack at 22.4 percent, followed by the Middle East & Africa and Canada at 18.7 percent and 12.8 percent, respectively. Similar to the technical segment, shipment value in graphics also expanded 5.3 percent year-over-year to over $493 million.
- Hewlett-Packard remained the undisputed leader in the global LFP market with 39.8 percent unit share. The vendor grew 5.5 percent year-over-year to 32,500 units in the first quarter. HP remains the clear market leader in its traditional area of strength, the technical market, with more than two times the share of its next competitor, Canon. HP is the number- three ranked vendor in the graphics market, trailing market leaders Epson and Canon.
- Canon climbed up one spot from a year ago to the number-two position in the LFP market overall. The vendor ranked second in both the CAD and graphics segments with double-digit unit growth year over year, 18.8 percent and 16.6 percent, respectively. Canon also enjoyed significant year-over-year growth in its biggest regional markets for technical and graphics printers, growing 22.5 percent in Western Europe in the technical segment and 30.3 percent in Japan in the graphics space.
- Trailing Canon by less than 1 point in unit shipment share, Epson was the number-three ranked vendor in the global LFP market with nearly 17,000 units shipped. The vendor grew 4.4 percent year-over-year to 20 percent share. Epson is the top vendor in the graphic-applications segment, with close to three times the share of the next vendor, Canon. While technical printers are only a small part of its LFP sales, Epson grew its shipments in this segment by 7.4 percent over the previous year.
- Roland, which holds a 3.4 percent share of the overall LFP market, was the number-four ranked vendor in the worldwide market. Roland’s shipments increased 12.4 percent year-over-year. Roland’s strength is the graphics market, where it held the fourth position worldwide and grew 4.1 percent from a year earlier.
- Ricoh rounded out the top-five vendors worldwide with a three percent share of the worldwide LFP market, and enjoyed 4.0 percent unit growth compared to a year earlier. The vendor holds the number-four spot in the technical market, where it saw a 3.8 percent gain year-over-year.
Worldwide Large Format Printer Shipment Value, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, First Quarter 2014 (shipment values in millions of U.S.$)
1Q14 Shipment Value
1Q14 Market Share
1Q13 Shipment Value
1Q13 Market Share
Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, June 2014
For more information about IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker, contact IDC’s Phuong Hang at Phang@idc.com.