New Brother Color Laser Printer, All-in-One Designed to Replace the Centralized, Floor-Standing MFP
Brother International is rolling out two new color laser devices, the HL-L9200CDWT printer ($699.99 estimated street price) and MFC-L9550CDW All-in-One ($799.99 estimated street price), both of which it says it designed to replace “underutilized centralized floor-standing MFPs. As such, Brother has amped-up the business-feature set of both units, as well as delivered a competitive cost per page. Both models ship with a super high-yield 6,000-page black toner cartridge (black cost per page is 2 cents, as well as super high-yield 6,000-page color toner cartridges (7.5 cent color cost per page), with Brother stating that cost per page is up to 50 percent less than comparable sub-$799 color-laser models. (Cost per page is based on approximate toner-cartridge yields in accordance with ISO/IEC 19798 (letter/A4) testing standards and MSRP pricing. A drum unit, said to be good for up to 25,000 pages, is also required.)
“By deploying multiple devices in closer proximity to end users, businesses can increase accessibility to help boost productivity in today’s printing environment,” says Steve Feldstein, Brother’s Director of Marketing for small and mid-size (SMB) laser products.
Both desktop A4 models, which print on up to 8.5″x14″, feature the Brother Solutions Interface, which allows developers to access the machine’s internal Web services to create customized workflow solutions. One such example is the ability to integrate PaperCut, an optional print-cost allocation tool that helps save paper and reduce costs through rules-based printing (with rules-based printing, users, for instance, are forced to print in two-sided duplex mode, black-only, etc.). The MFC-L9550CDW, through the Brother Control Center interface, also lets compliance-driven vertical-market customer, such as in healthcare, send secure emails using Protected Trust encrypted email services.
Brother has also incorporated its Web Connect Interface so that, from the control panel, users can print documents from their accounts at cloud-based document-storage services such as Dropbox, Google Drive, Box.com, and OneDrive. With the MFC-L9550CDW All-in-One, users may also scan to cloud-based document-storage sites such as Evernote, OneNote, Brother’s BR-Docs, and more
Other business-focused scanning destinations include: scanning to FTP, Secure FTP, Microsoft SharePoint 6, e-mail server, network folder (CIFS), and more. There’s also support for Active Directory (using LDAP) for network user authentication, while Secure Function Lock can be used to limit accessibility to functions on a per user or group basis, for up to 100 users, to help prevent the unauthorized transfer of sensitive information. The MFC-L9550CDW adds a built-in NFC Card Reader for walk-up user authorization to release print jobs, and to access other functions using a compatible NFC card or badge.
The HL-L9200CDWT color-laser printer’s key features include:
- Rated at up to 32 ppm in both color and black at up to 2400 x 600 dpi resolution.
- Wireless 802.11b/g/n, Ethernet network, and Hi-Speed USB 2.0 interfaces
- Standard 800-sheet paper capacity.
- 250-sheet capacity paper tray, plus a lower 500-sheet capacity paper tray, both for letter- or legal-size paper.
- 50-sheet capacity multi-purpose tray for envelopes, thicker media, and custom paper sizes.
- Ships with Super High-Yield toner cartridges – black toner cartridge yields up to 6,000 pages, while each color cartridge also yields up to 6,000 pages (drum unit also required).
- Automatic duplex (two-sided) printing.
- Mobile device printing from compatible Apple iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, and Windows Phone devices. Print via AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, the free Brother iPrint&Scan app, Wi-Fi Direct, and Cortado Workplace.
- 1.8” color touch screen with Web Connect for printing from the cloud, such as from Dropbox, Google Drive, Box.com, and OneDrive accounts.
- Supoorts Active Directory (using LDAP) for network user authentication.
- Secure Function Lock for restricting or granting access on a per user or group basis, for up to 100 users, plus the ability to set color page counts or restrict color printing.
- Energy Start-qualified with auto Off Mode, plus Deep Sleep mode that uses less than 2 watts of energy when not in use.
- USB Direct Interface for printing JPEG, PDF, and XPS files stored on a USB flash-memory drive.
- One-year limited warranty with free phone support for the lifetime of the printer.
- Estimated street price is $699.99.
The MFC-L9550CDW color laser All-in-One’s includes all of the HL-L9200CDWT’s features listed above (except second paper tray), plus:
- Print, copy, scan , and fax, with automatic duplex (two-sided) printing, plus single-pass duplex copying, scanning, and faxing through the 50-page automatic document feeder.
- Built-in NFC Card Reader for walk-up user authorization using a compatible optional NFC card or badge system.
- 300-sheet paper capacity; optional second paper tray.
- 4.85” color touch screen Display with Web Connect to scan to Dropbox, BR-DOCS, Evernote, Google Drive, OneNote, OneDrive, and more.
- USB Direct Interface for printing JPEG, PDF, and XPS files from a USB flash-memory drive, and sending scanned files to a USB flash-memory drive.
- Legal-size document platen.
- Estimated street price is $799.99.