The A4 B/W (or monochrome) MFP is a staple for any office. One would think that it should be easy to choose a business-class B/W MFP, but we propose that it is easier said than done. Our Head2Head comparison is not a simple “feeds and speeds” shoot-out. First we determine, evaluate, individually rate, and detail the ability of each device to serve a variety of business-applications. Second, we compare the entire group against one another and the best overall performer is awarded Best in Class.
What is a “Business Class” MFP? Said device must adhere to the following selection criteria:
Wirth Consulting Usage Definitions:
- SOHO (Inkjet) = Network interface, duplex printing and automatic document feeder (AiO/MFP).
- SOHO (Laser/MFP) = Network interface and automatic document feeder (AiO/MFP).
- Business Class = SOHO plus can support more users; higher maximum and recommended monthly volumes; faster print speeds; expandable standard media capacity exceeding 251 sheets; higher ink or toner capacity.
- Enterprise = Business Class plus US Legal-sized platen, duplexing automatic document feeder, PCL and/or PostScript print drivers, and remote management, deployment and security capabilities.
Our roundup included all current qualifying devices distributed via the dealer and retail channels. We evaluated and compared 13 B/W A4 MFPs from Brother, Canon, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Lexmark, OKI, Ricoh, Samsung, Sharp, and Xerox. After considerable deliberation, we bestowed Best in Class honors on the OKI MB471dn MFP due to the following strengths:
- Suitable for use at all levels, from home office to enterprise.
- Competitive Cost Per Page and Total Cost of Ownership.
- Strong multifunction feature set.
- Standard 50-sheet duplexing automatic document feeder and 100-sheet multipurpose tray.
- Versatile media-throughput capabilities include banner printing.
- Local user-access controls with job-accounting and effective remote-management capabilities.
- Deployable PCL, PostScript, and Universal PCL5 print drivers.
- Backlit 5-line graphic LCD display, one-touch function keys, and QWERTY-style keyboard contribute to ease of use.
- A generous software suite that includes desktop-file management software.
- Compatibility with industry-standard security protocols.
(Watermarked; distribution or linking is prohibited.)
Business-Class A4 B/W MFPs Head2Head Comparison Report
- OKI MB471dn MFP What You Should Know Evaluation
Not-watermarked Competitive What You Should Know Evaluations for personal use only.
- Brother MFC-8710DW
- Canon imageCLASS MF5950dw
- Dell 2335dn
- HP LaserJet Pro 400 MFP M425dn
- Konica Minolta bizhub 25
- KYOCERA FS-1135MFP
- Lexmark MX310DN
- Panasonic KX-MB3020
- Ricoh Aficio SP 3510SF
- Samsung SCX-5935NX
- Sharp MX-B201D
- Xerox WorkCentre 3315/DN
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Retail Channel)
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Dealer Channel)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (A-I)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (K-P)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (R-Z)