We recently completed hands-on testing of Lexmark’s impressive new monochrome laser printer for workgroups, the MS812de ($1,949.00). During testing, we evaluated all aspects of performance, from installation and set-up, to image quality, productivity, and ease of use.
A downloadable and printable version of the Lexmark MS812de Hands-On Test Report is available here. Following is our Executive Summary for the MS812de:
Enterprise capabilities include Markvision Enterprise fleet-management solution, enterprise-level security, broad operating support, and, with its incorporation of Lexmark’s Embedded Solutions Framework (eSF), standard print-on-demand and other applications from the touch screen.
High-volume printing is supported with very fast tested print speeds (up to 72 ppm in testing), generous 650-sheet paper capacity that can be expanded into a very substantial 4,400-sheet capacity, Extra High Yield toner cartridge that yields up to 45,000 pages (and imaging unit good for 100,000 pages), as well as recommended monthly volume of up to 300,000 pages.
Tested print speeds using our proprietary suite of test originals were very fast:
- Tested print speeds were up to 70.04 ppm printing color graphics and text (Adobe Acrobat file) and up to 69.59 ppm printing black text (Microsoft Word files), virtually matching Lexmark’s rated print speed of 70 ppm.
- Tested duplex print speed of 42.17 ppm printing a black text Microsoft Word file.
Ease of Use
Exceptionally easy to use 7” e-Task touch screen that is well-laid out, features audible feedback, and large, easy to read text.
Overall business-quality image quality was competitive, with sharp, laser-quality black text quality readable down to 5 pt. font size. Output also displayed good resolution and fine-line reproduction. No image anomalies such as mis-registration, poor fill, broken text, banding, etc. were observed.
Hardware set up was fast at approximately 8 minutes, and both toner cartridge and photoconductor are pre-installed, which made setup exceptionally easy. Software and network installation was also quick at just 8 minutes. In total, we had the MS812de up and running in just 16 minutes.
Sturdy build quality.
Both toner cartridge and imaging unit are easily accessed, removed, and replaced from the front of the printer.
The 621X Extra High Yield Return Program Toner Cartridge yields up to 45,000 pages for longer, uninterrupted operation. The MS812de also ships with a toner cartridge rated to yield a substantial 10,000 pages, which is considerably more than that of most starter “ship with” toner cartridges in this class. It also features a long-life imaging unit that is good for up to 100,000 pages.
During our evaluation, printed output was neatly stacked and functions worked correctly the first time. The newly-designed media throughput system performed flawlessly, that is no misfeeds or double feeds occurred.
Cost per Page and Total Cost of Ownership
Very low cost per page of just 1.2¢ using Lexmark 621X Extra High Yield Return Program Toner Cartridge and 520Z Return Program Imaging Unit. Competitive desktop laser printers’ cost per page can range as high as 2¢ to 3¢.
The MS812de is a dominating desktop laser printer, with strong advantages including:
- Complete redesign of the print engine, from the ground up, with particular improvements made to the imaging system and media input and output.
- Blazing-fast print speeds – up to 72 ppm in testing – especially for this price point ($1,949.00).
- Cost per page as low as 1.2¢, as well as very competitive monthly supply costs and Total Cost of Ownership.
- Strong enterprise-class management with Markvision Enterprise, strong security suite, and very broad operating support.
- Print-on-demand via Lexmark Solutions, and the ability to add optional security and workflow solutions.
- Solid, business-class build quality.
- Easy hardware setup, and no-brainer, very easy maintenance.
- Exemplary performance in testing from start-to-finish – hardware and software installation was easy, software worked correctly the first time and throughout, no misfeeds occurred, etc.
Lexmark’s MS812de sets a new standard for desktop A4/letter-size office printing with its 70-ppm print speeds, very low cost per page, print-on-demand capability, advanced security, Markvision Enterprise fleet-management, extensive hardware and software expandability, and faultless performance throughout testing. Consequently, this remarkable printer is an Outstanding choice for use in companies, large workgroups, and enterprises.
- Lexmark MS812de Hands-On Test Report
- Lexmark MS812de Unboxing, Setup, Software and Network Installation and Software Overview Videos
- Lexmark MS812de Hands-On Preview and Photo Gallery
- Lexmark Unleashes A4 Blitz – Hardware Upgrades, Brings A3 Speed and Solutions to Next-Generation A4 Family