In this Head2Head Comparison of Business-Class A4 B/W Laser/LED Printers, we considered that, at a minimum, the printer must have networking, automatic duplex printing and have an expandable media supply with a main tray with at least a 250-sheet capacity. We then considered any advantages provided by deployment, manageability and tracking and control features, as nearly every company wants to manage the cost of printing. This group represents the most basic, popular and productive form of printing in today’s office and we expect that these printers will support from one to 10 users.
We evaluated the least-expensive printer from every printer vendor that fits these criteria. The result was a group of 12 printers that ranged in suggested retail price from $199.99 to $860.00. Typically, we found that the more expensive printers had a low Total Cost of Ownership at higher monthly volumes due to their significantly lower Cost per Page.
Ultimately we determined that the Samsung ML-4512ND provided the best mix of features, performance, manageability, cost of ownership and security:
- Low Cost per Page, and low Total Cost of Ownership at print volumes in excess of 1,000 pages per month.
- Standard Gigabit Ethernet networking.
- ECO mode and one-touch ECO button saves paper and reduces toner consumption by up to 30 percent.
- Standard 100-sheet multipurpose tray and 520-sheet main tray.
- Wide range of printer language and OS platform support.
- Easy Printer Manager and compatibility with Samsung SyncThru fleet management solution with Job Accounting plug-in.
- Confidential print, scheduled print, store print, and Direct PDF Utility.
- Backlit 4-line LCD display while many others in this class have only 1- or 2-line displays.
On a budget and looking for the best value at print volumes less than 1,000 pages per month? Check out Brother’s HL-5450DN that is available for the low, low price of $199.99.
(Watermarked, not-printable, and not for distribution or linking)
(Not-watermarked What You Should Know Evaluations for personal use only)
Indices of Related Reports
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Retail Channel)
- Head2Head Comparison Reports (Dealer Channel)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (A-I)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (K-P)
- What You Should Know Evaluations (R-Z)