Sharp Adds Two Light-Production Systems Designed for User-Friendliness
Sharp U.K. and Sharp Europe are rolling out two new light-production color printers systems, the 70-ppm MX-7040N and 60-ppm MX-6240N. The systems are designed for corporate reprographic departments, print-for-pay shops, and high-volume office printing, and according to Sharp, have been designed with user-friendliness in mind, so that even relatively un-skilled users will be able to operate them.
Marc Brion, European Product Planning Manager for Sharp Information Systems Europe, says the systems are designed so that users don’t have to have in-depth knowledge of color fidelity and document finishing, “What we’ve done with these two new MFPs is to automate as many technical processes as possible, so that non-technical staff can produce predictable and consistent results… We wanted to create a light production system that can be used by anyone and everyone with minimal effort.”
The systems are equipped with Sharp’s 10.1″ touch-and-swipe color touch screen designed for making operation as easy possible. “In addition to the finger-swipe control interface there’s an on-screen ‘action panel’ which gives step-by-step guidance to first time users, for instance,” notes Brion. “With the introduction of these two new light-production MFPs it is now possible, for the first time, for relatively unskilled operators to produce a wide range of high quality, fully finished documents in-house. This is a huge leap forward.”
The MX-7040n/MX-6240N’s 10.1″ color touch screen with pull-out keypad for entering text.
The systems incorporate a number of image-quality enhancements:
- Error Diffusion for Color Copying for smoother lines and enhanced text clarity by preventing blurring.
- Enhanced Background Suppression, which suppresses the background of images without altering the RGB (red, green, blue) balance or color shades.
- Jagged Edge Reduction, which improves the reproduction of small text in subtle colours.
- Enhanced Fine Line Reproduction, which adjusts highlights, contrast, and edges for superior reproduction of fine lines and text.
- Accurate Colour Reproduction, which reproduces natural skin tones and improves fidelity of other tricky colours.
- Auto Process Control for consistent image quality without manual calibration
- Developer Refresh System which ensures that the last page’s is identical to the first even on the longest print runs.
Sharp also says it’s developed new toners for the systems.
- Print speed for the MX-7040N is 70 ppm (black/color) printing A4-size pages; print speed for the MX-6240N is 62 (black/color) ppm printing A4-size pages.
- Print resolution up to 1,200 dpi.
Color print, color copy, color scan and optional black-and-white Super G3 fax.
5,120 MB memory; 1,024-GB hard drive; USB 2.0 port; 10Base-T/100Base-TX-1000Base-T Ethernet network interface.
Supports Microsoft Windows XP/Windows Server 2003, 2008, 2008 R2/Windows Vista; Windows 7; Apple Mac OS 9.0 to 9.2.2, X10.1.5, 10.2.8, 10.3.3 – 10.3.9, 10.4 -10.4.10, 10.5 – 10.5.1.
Standard PCL 6 print driver; optional PostScript 3 emulation or Adobe PostScript 3 print drivers.
Full-color scanning with scan to desktop, FTP, e-mail, network folders and USB memory drives. Users can create XPS, PDF, encrypted PDF, compact PDF, PDF/A-1b, JPEG and TIFF files. Includes Network Scanner Tool and Sharpdesk software. Users can also scan and store documents to hard-drive memory; up to 35,000 folders can be created for document storage.
Standard paper capacity is 3,100 sheets, expandable to 8,500 sheets; automatic duplex printing; 150-sheet duplexing document feeder rated at 75 originals per minute.
Accepts paper sizes up to SRA3 (450 mm x 320 mm, or slightly larger than A3 [11″x17″]), and supports a variety of stock, including SRA3, 55- 300 gsm, glossy and embossed media. Maximum scan size is A3.
Web browsing option for access to the Internet directly from the touch screen.
Air-feed system for smoother paper transportation.
- Replenish toner without interrupting the job.
- Optional document finishers include 100-sheet multi-position stapling document finisher, saddle-stitch booklet maker, document hole-puncher, GBC Punch Unit, document inserter; and document-folder unit.
Pricing is not yet available for the systems, which will shortly launch in the United States.