Review and Report: HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Series

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA The big news for HP’s Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One is a completely redesigned color ink-imaging system that, among its benefits, is much faster duplex productivity and faster ink-drying time, as well as a new option to keep printing when ink is low, and new technology to make sure pages are completely printed when ink is low.

At the same time, and as with the Officejet Pro 8000 Enterprise Printer, HP has expanded support for enterprises with a simplified installation option, and will be offering the new All-in-Ones as part of a Managed Print Services program with “base plus click” contract certification and automated supply delivery qualification. There’s also HP Web Jetadmin and Pro Proxy support, Citrix/Cluster support, asset tracking, backup and restore, print-driver pre-configuration, and modular enterprise installer with script and silent install capabilities. With the Embedded Web Server, administrators can enable or disable color fax, color copy, wireless connectivity and Web services.

Also new for the Officejet Pro 8600 series, which replaces the Officejet Pro 8500A series introduced last year, is a new improved ink formulation, and for the Premium and Plus configurations, the color touch screen has been enhanced with smartphone-like swiping. There’s also the previous generation’s wired and wireless network connectivity, mobile printing, Print Apps for accessing and printing Web content, and full-color capability for print, copy, scan and fax. The Premium and Plus configurations incorporate a legal-size (8.5”x14”) platen glass.

At the same time, hardware pricing has been reduced by $100 for all three configuration (base, Plus, and Premium). For instance, the top-of-the-line Officejet Pro 8600 Premium now lists at $399 versus the previous Officejet Pro 8500A Premium’s $499 list price (see below for more on the three configurations).

Upon our first inspection of the Officejet Pro 8600 Plus that we evaluated, we observed strong, improved build quality and an all matte-black finish, but the big difference—the new ink-jet imaging system—is inside. Along with the new ink, which is pigment-based and said to provide improved resistance to water and highlighters, there are also new ink cartridges—950 black cartridge, 951 individual color cartridges, and high-yield 950XL black and individual 950XL color cartridges.

Rated print speed is also faster (20/16 ppm versus 15/11 ppm) for the Premium and Plus configurations, as is duplex print speed—it’s now 50 percent of simplex speed (versus 25 percent of simplex speed). Our print-speed test showed that, in fact, when printing a 10-page Microsoft Word text document, duplex print speed was approximately 50-percent of simplex speed—we noted overall that duplex productivity was significantly better versus the previous Officejet Pro 8500A series that we had also evaluated. This in part can be attributed to much faster ink drying time—for black text output, that’s 2.90 to 3.65 seconds per page for the new Officejet Pro 8600 versus approximately 5.75 seconds for the Officejet Pro 8500A series.

HP has also upped the maximum monthly duty cycle—up to 25,000 pages, with a recommended monthly volume of from 250 to 1,250 pages. Also new is a borderless duplex printing on brochure paper, something you couldn’t do with the previous generation. This new capability will appeal to those who use their Officejet Pro for producing marketing materials such as folded brochures.

35 Responses

1. Lourdes Orozco says:

Hi, well I have may imac and have a hpofficejetpro8600 my computer have to be reformated and i didn’ have back ups for my files there. Well I lost everything as we know in this cases. Now I’m sure that I have a back up for may printer but now I can’t find it It’s missplace. My question is how or where I can get a new disco to install my printer is this posible to do it from de internet for free or do I have (may be) to buy this disc again?

• Terry Wirth says:

You can download the installation software from the HP support Web site. We recommend that you perform a custom installation and only choose to install necessary components because the standard installation installs a lot of extraneous software whether you want it or not.

2. Trillium says:

I bought an HP 8600 Pro Plus and I have to say the drivers are the weak link to these printers. I have heard that Canon provides better drivers. What would be a good Canon Printer? I would love to sell this piece of junk and replace it with a printer that has better driver support. The borderless printing is not so great with this printer. H’s forum support suggests I use another driver for another of their printers and to stop using the wireless functionality with that other driver as a way to solve this. No driver fix available. Huge fail and not possible. Since printer is big and wireless is a key feature I needed. That is their solution to the borderless debacle. Also card stock is a big failure with the 8600, you have to lift the tray a bit with your hands to get the printer to be able to grab the card stock. I could not believe this office printer was not vetted better at HP. I wanted a printer that was for small home office and economical for ink usage but hadn’t considered that they didn’t write basic drivers for the borderless functions. Also when you do try to print borderless it is so convoluted it is not funny. Maybe all the printers are designed so poorly today and it is a race to the bottom?

• Terry Wirth says:

It’s not an issue of the quality of the drivers, your problems are all hardware-related. While it is true that the OJP8600 is the most economical choice due to low cost per page, it also is one of the few printers on the market that lacks a manual feed tray that facilitates printing onto various media sizes and weights.

That said, I am curious about the WiFi issue and why it would effect borderless printing only. Also, keep in mind that the although the OJP8600 can competently print photos it is marketed as an office printer, not a photo printer that are equipped with five or more ink colors and designed to feed thicker media. Yes, you probably would be better off with a Canon PIXMA because they are more photo-centric printers that can also perform office-related chores. However, you will pay a premium in ink costs for every page that you print.

3. Trillium says:

Well the HP Support person said in order for me to get it to print borderless I would have to use a driver for another of their printers and that driver would not support wireless and I would have to stop using my wireless functionality. As a teacher I need to print up posters from time to time, not photos and don’t need excellent color quality. That is how I learned the hard way that this new printer can’t seem to grab cardstock well. All my old printers could. I just assumed this better one could. I already have a HP Colorjet but the cost per page is incredibly high that is why I bought the 8600. Since HP acknowledges a different driver will solve it, albeit poorly, I assumed it was a driver issue. Since finding out the down sides to this I have read many who complain about the borderless issue and it continues to go on deaf ears at HP. If one doesn’t need photo quality color printing and wants to cut ink costs and wants to print on cardstock from time to time and uses Win 7 is there a Canon middle of the road printer that would work. I have heard others complain about HP drivers and that Canon makes a better effort on this. Thanks for any advice you can offer on this. I am ready to sell my less than one year old 8600 on Craigs List which I paid a lot for and replace it with a better printer that is actually supported.

• Terry Wirth says:

Our Officejet Pro 8600 has a borderless printing option right in the print driver and it is connected via WiFi? I don’t get the WiFi connection–does printing stop or something? Again, we feel that it is a hardware-related issue. The OJP 8600 specs show 8.5″x11″ borderless printing and the ability to handle 90-110 lb. card (not index) stock. If your printer can’t handle that then the hardware just doesn’t cut it and HP deserves the blame.

Another idea is to look into Brother’s new A3 (11″x17″) MFPs, that are able to print and scan A3, and offer a manual feed slot and a much lower cost per page than either Canon or Epson.

Brother MFC-J6520DW (one 250-sheet tray)/MFC-J6720DW (two 250-sheet trays) – $229.99/$249.99 ($169.99/$199.99 on Amazon).
      Top of the line Brother model MFC-J6920DW (full A3 functionality including duplex print and scan; two 250-sheet trays; can hold 11″x17″ media in trays)- $299.99 ($229.99 on Amazon).

4. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.

You clearly know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just
    posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

5. JR Namida says:

WinXP computer works well – Off line but with all the expensive graphic software i can not purchase again. Win7 laptop is for on-line use. I have printer (OJP8600) & Laptop connected to inexpensive hotspot, not a network for printing.

I want to connect both computers to the (OJP8600), via different types of connections.

i want to use USB, connection for WinXP and keep the wireless setup for Win7, how do I accomplish that feat . WinXP is connected via usb, and I can not get it to print. Have lost the original CD need to download WinXP USB software?

But confused, if this can be done…

• Terry Wirth says:

The OJP 8600 will work with USB plus one network connection. As far as the Win XP/USB issue is concerned, try removing the printer from the printer folder and then running the HP Printer Assistant. You should be prompted to add a new printer once you run it. Then, you can specify a USB connection and the software will do its thing. I know that this works with Win 7 and 8 but I am not sure about how it works with Win XP. If not, look around in the HP software for an option to add a printer or change its connection. If you can’t find anything, you can download the basic software package for print only from HP’s web site, remove the printer from the printer folder, reinstall the software on the Win XP PC and specify a USB connection.

• JR Namida says:

If i download the basic for winXP, and connect the wifi printer connection dies. It appears that i can have only one mode of printing, with winXP being used. I can have either wireless or USB, can not find a methods to enable both modes.

• Terry Wirth says:

Information on HPs Web site claims that the printer can handle USB plus one network connection. I guess that’s not the case.

So, it looks like you’re going to have to invest in a wireless router so that you can connect the laptop via WiFi, the hotspot and OJP via either CAT 5 network cable or WiFi and the Win XP PC via CAT 5 cable. I see wireless routers on Amazon.com for >$10 used. Make sure that you choose one that has at least 3 CAT 5 ports.

%d bloggers like this: